Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Advice or Help on a 96 caprice

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2020, 2:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice or Help on a 96 caprice

If anyone can give me some advice or help it would be appreciated.

So recently my 96 Caprice has been misfiring, trying to stall out, and losing power. I took it to a couple of shops and they all said the same thing with their scanners. That spark plugs 3,4 and 6 were misfiring and needed to be replaced and the EGR valve was bad. Ok, so I got the spark plugs done first hoping that would solve one problem. Check engine light still blinking and misfiring in the same areas. Replace the EGR valve and took it back to the shop. Check engine light still blinking and misfiring in the same areas after that's what they said need to be done to fix it. It starts up fine but after about 30 seconds it starts misfiring and if it runs for more than 15 minutes it starts smoking a little bit from the engine. The car has plenty of oil and coolant in it with it having over 300k miles. So my question is what could it be that causing this or what area should I look in next to fix the issues?
Old December 8th, 2020, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyfanuntilidie
If anyone can give me some advice or help it would be appreciated.

So recently my 96 Caprice has been misfiring, trying to stall out, and losing power. I took it to a couple of shops and they all said the same thing with their scanners. That spark plugs 3,4 and 6 were misfiring and needed to be replaced and the EGR valve was bad. Ok, so I got the spark plugs done first hoping that would solve one problem. Check engine light still blinking and misfiring in the same areas. Replace the EGR valve and took it back to the shop. Check engine light still blinking and misfiring in the same areas after that's what they said need to be done to fix it. It starts up fine but after about 30 seconds it starts misfiring and if it runs for more than 15 minutes it starts smoking a little bit from the engine. The car has plenty of oil and coolant in it with it having over 300k miles. So my question is what could it be that causing this or what area should I look in next to fix the issues?
How old are the plug wires?
Old December 8th, 2020, 7:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Welcome from Florida. You said that it starts up fine and the problem starts after about 30 seconds. This leads me to thinking that you might have a clogged or partially clogged catalytic converter. I had something similar last year.
Old December 8th, 2020, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
How old are the plug wires?
I just replaced the spark plugs and wires two weeks ago.
Old December 8th, 2020, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Welcome from Florida. You said that it starts up fine and the problem starts after about 30 seconds. This leads me to thinking that you might have a clogged or partially clogged catalytic converter. I had something similar last year.
I'll have someone take a look at that for me. I took it to another shop and they said it was losing power, but it had no vacuum leaks and they think the motor is going out and wanted me to spend 5k for an engine swap.