Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Code 32 with working EGR

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2024, 5:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code 32 with working EGR

Hello and good morning,

I am currently trying to find out why my SES light comes on sometimes. Car is a 1989 Chevy Caprice with the 305 TBI, stock except for removed cat. 45k mls.

About 1.5 years ago, the light came on the first time and went off on its own during the same drive.

Since then, sometimes it is on, sometimes not. Always on the highway, never in town. I checked the codes, only code 32 stored, so EGR system. I then checked the system and found out the EGR valve was mechanically stuck closed and the diaphragm would not hold vacuum. I replaced the valve with a new AC Delco unit and disconnected the battery during the repair to clear the codes. Enginge ran fine before and runs fine since the repair. The first 3 trips the SES light stayed off. Then boom, SES. Checked for codes, again code 32 and nothing else.

I then took the service manual, did the diagnostic chart for the EGR system and everything works as it should. The valve moves freely, holds vacuum, the computer can control the solenoid and the solenoid works. I don't get why the code 32 is being set again.

Have you experienced this behaviour before and can help me where to start the further diagnosis? The engine runs fine besides of that, 21 to 23 mpg, no oil consumption and starts cold and hot.

Best regards from Germany
Felix

Last edited by freakyhead94; April 21st, 2024 at 5:15 AM.