Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Engine v8 305 gen1 with quadrajet ... HELP

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2017, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine v8 305 gen1 with quadrajet ... HELP

Hey all,
i own a 88 caprice classic brougham LS with a 305 v8 1st generation engine with a Rochester quadrajet carb on top
i recently overhauled the carb bought a new kit for it and cleaned it. Not sure if i well adjusted the mixture (watched over a ton of youtube links and DIYs...)or else but the engine is now weak and runs like a v6 not a v8 pfffff... Tuned the mixture front screws till I got the high idle sweet spot for both screws then adjusted the idle speed screw ... I can say there is no more hesitation no more backfiring and a noticeable gas mileage .. BUTTTT ...runs like grandma... The TV cable is adjusted.. What could be the problem? It had massive power before when the carb was in a ****ty conditions loooool... Any help is appreciated thanks.
Old October 30th, 2017, 3:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you jack with the float?
Old October 30th, 2017, 3:29 PM
CF Monarch

Also, is the inline filter new/replaced, and in correct? Did you replace the accelerator pump with one in the kit, if so, was the spring the same as the original (length, ect)?

Last edited by kevinkpk; October 30th, 2017 at 3:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old October 30th, 2017, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Float is OK and tested the power valve too..all is OK ... Well I noticed that my TV cable adjustment "button" isn't working ... Might this affect performance? When I rev the engine it roars like a beast. It when on road its grandma lol .. Ow and does the EGR has anything to do with my problem? I'll consider cleaning it too.

​​​
Old October 30th, 2017, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

About the inline filter ...well... When I removed the old one to replace it the spring jumped and I lost it ... I feel dumb saying that lol.. But I kept the filter with no spring until I buy another one...should this affect anything?
Old October 30th, 2017, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Also, is the inline filter new/replaced, and in correct? Did you replace the accelerator pump with one in the kit, if so, was the spring the same as the original (length, ect)?
i replaced everything that came in the new carb kit
Old October 30th, 2017, 4:29 PM
CF Monarch

You should replace the filter spring as that keeps the gasket on the filter to the body sealed. The kick down cable probably is your issue
Old November 3rd, 2017, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Cool

so after a long day on wednesday, i removed the carb and found that my secondary flaps aren't opening and there was a tiny carbon piece sitting under the float needle.. so cleaned everything with carb cleaner and pressure air then mounted the carb, tuned it again,,,,,,,,, and voilaaaa .. i can even hear the jets whistle like a turbo haha .. what a great relief and happiness i felt and now my ride is now more powerfull.