Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Have all electronics other than accessories and no ignition response

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2019, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have all electronics other than accessories and no ignition response

Hello,

So I have had a bad connection to the positive battery terminal as I had a stripped side post bolt. The other morning I went out to head to work and everytime I would turn the ignition all electronic power would cut out like I had no battery. I could adjust the cable and get power back but still with the same issue of the power cutting out. I replaced the bolt with a typical 3/8 bolt and now it seems I have a good connection. Head lights/tail lights work all interior lights work. However I can not get any accessory power to come on so no radio or dash cluster and absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key all the way to start the car. I checked and swapped the ignition switch as my local mechanic told me that was likely the problem. However it does not seem the ignition switch is the problem. There is absolutely no response when turning the key so clearly there is a complete electrical cut off happening somewhere. I am at a loss and have a feeling it is something simple like a fuse but I just can't think of it!. Please help!

Last edited by CapriceClassic91; April 5th, 2019 at 7:27 AM.
Old April 5th, 2019, 7:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Did you check the fuses? You might have blown a fuse when the cables was loose. Always check the simple things first!
Old April 5th, 2019, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

I have pulled and checked all other fuses in what I believe is called the convenience centre. Located on the drivers side of the dash, they all seem fine. Possibly there are other more major fuses I do not know about. Electronics are certainly not my strength.
Old April 5th, 2019, 1:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Check the under-hood fusebox.
Old April 5th, 2019, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

I do not have an under the hood fuse box. I have some main fuses that run right off the positive terminal cable from the battery relay that appear to be fine.
Old April 5th, 2019, 1:56 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Are you just looking at the fuses or using a tester of some sort?
Old April 5th, 2019, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

I am using a test light. Tried to upload a video but unfortunately it doesn't want to work for me. I'm sure it is a pesky fuse somewhere I have not yet found. Just doesn't seem like a problem anyone else seems to have had yet.
The following users liked this post:
cadilac seville (September 27th, 2019)
Old April 5th, 2019, 2:41 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

wonder if they still used fusable links?
Old April 6th, 2019, 8:52 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

CapriceClassic91,

I have to wonder about the battery side-post bolt. Was it just the former bolt that was stripped.... or was the threaded hole in the battery terminal that was / is stripped. I'm not comfortable with that situation ---- what's critical for a battery.. is not only the ability to provide sufficient amps [current] at the battery itself.... but the ability of the car to DELIVER that amperage where it's needed. You may have only a partial connection at this "stripped" battery post / cable connection & threads.

The second possibility, in my judgment, is a fusible link having gone bad.

Make a list of precisely what things do not have electrical power. If there are more than just 2 or 3, I doubt very much that it's a "fuse".... or even a circuit breaker............ though it is possible. I still suspect the battery and the threads where the cable is supposed to be tightly bolted together. If you can, get another battery... and a good battery cable bolt... and use them to examine whether the car still has any "open circuits". Also check the condition of the battery cables themselves: they can 'look' good.... but can be corroded inside. The ability to deliver large amounts of electrical current depends on low resistances..... and corrosion, rust, and dirt.. will cause high resistances.

Last edited by Jerry Chase; April 6th, 2019 at 8:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old April 8th, 2019, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

I'm gonna agree with Jerry, try and replace the battery and terminal bolt asap. I consulted my manual and being a 91, it has fusable links but I doubt that's the problem being that the car had low voltage with the battery improperly connected. Keep us updated, if it turns nightmarish I have a couple wiring diagrams that might be of use.