Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Heater valve location

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2015, 9:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater valve location

I have a 69 Impala with factory air conditioning and since it is basically the same as a Caprice, I am putting this thread here. A former owner removed the heater valve probably because it was plugged up and never replaced it. This valve would have been located on one of the heater hoses in the engine compartment and close to the air conditioning cowling. I ordered a new one for my car and it has a mounting bracket attached to it. Problem is, I don't know where that bracket was originally mounted and want the new valve to be in the original location. I looked at a friend's 69 Caprice and it doesn't have that valve because the car does not have air conditioning. My shop manual does not show the valve location either. A 70 Impala/Caprice is almost the identical car, so the location should be the same. Is there any one out there who has a 69 or 70 Caprice or Impala with air conditioning that could tell me where the heater valve bracket mounts? A picture would even be better. If you need my email address to send a picture, please advise. Thanks for any response.

Harv
Old August 8th, 2015, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Hello everyone. Just a follow up on the heater valve location thread. Since I didn't hear from anyone on this topic, I went to ebay and found a station wagon with AC. The under the hood picture showed the valve location to be on the right inner fender. I looked on my car and there were two holes with screws in them that lined up with the holes in the heater valve. One of the holes was stripped out, so I put a larger screw in the hole and mounted the valve. After connecting the hoses to the valve, I tried the air conditioning and the air coming out was cool with no more hot air coming from the heater core.

Harv
Old September 20th, 2015, 8:00 AM
CF Active Member

Congrats ! :-)

Is it vacuum acuated or mechanical linkage . I replaced the heater valve on out 91 caprice , last winter . It was vacuum .

God bless
Wyr
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:55 PM
CF Junior Member

The heater valve was vacuum operated. In addition to making the AC work better, by adding this valve, it plugged an open vacuum line that a previous owner just left open. What I don't understand is why a former owner would have eliminated this valve and not even plugged the open vacuum line.

Harv