Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Magnaflow Or Flowmaster Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2011, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Or Flowmaster Muffler?

I have a 87 chevrolet caprice with a 305...i am about to redo my exaust system...i currently have a y-pipe which i am about to change to duals...I wanted to know which muffler i should use for a better growling sound Flowmaster or Magnaflow...or any other suggestion <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_54181-->
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have mosly used borla on all of my rides with good gains great sound and thay have good quilty go borla thay even have some for the the street cars 1 stages of couse one in very mild 3 is loud as hell an sounds really sick if you ask me an rippin in in a tunnel is so wicked but caprice if the way to go man i just put a set of long tube hookers on with 2 inch piping no cats with two borlas love it bro love itt!! always keep your pipe size in mind bro you wanna keep good power all the way though your powerband range 2 its plenty if not ull add more when you beef that motor up but 2 fo that 305 is just right i promise ya ull keep nice tork of the line ull see an still pull hard on top

Last edited by Marky_V; June 14th, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old July 16th, 2011, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can help a little bit on this topic. When I got my '79, one of the first things I did was get rid of the stock exhaust set-up. The first thing I did was remove the muffler, ran the new pipe over the axle, into a y-pipe style split, then dual tips out the back under the bumper parallel to the class-four hitch. I thought this would give it a decent tone and free-up the tired 305 but I was wrong. Those pre-1981 cat's are either so restrictive or it was so stopped-up from 32 years of combustion that the exhaust note at the pipes was not much louder than stock. So it had to go. Chop, chop and an s-bent pipe took it's place. Now she's stock manifolds, y-pipe, straight-piping, y-pipe, and duals. I got mixed emotions about this. Idle sounds good. I've never heard it drive-by, think I'll get one of my friends to take a couple passes in it so I know what it sounds like. Driving with the windows down, it is definitely heard, echoes in underpasses, etc. but the doesn't sound good to me. You can hear everything that the 32 year-old, 145hp stock 305 (probably 306ci now. Ha!) has to purr about; including complain about: this 10% ethanol fuel we old car guys are pretty much forced to use. At times, it kind of sounds like one of those 4x4's that just ripped his exhaust system off from rock crawling. Also, it seems that she's lost a little bit a torque too. For now, I'm going to put a performance muffler somewhere in the straight section. Next is a replacement engine, don't know how much a 305 can be built into, but this is my daily driver so I need to do a motor swap instead that will take no longer than the weekend. Following the motor swap, the next weekend project will be headers, true dual-exhaust with a (h- or x-) crossover, (undecided choice of) mufflers, and pretty chrome tips. For a stock 305 (or 350), don't go straight pipe. Look into Flowmaster's 10-series mufflers or perhaps a Borla, that's what I'm about to do.