Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

My 1977 caprice will start but it wont move..?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2013, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1977 caprice will start but it wont move..?

Hello everyone. Im new to these boards and id like to start off my introducing myself as Mike.
Im a 21 year old from dayton, OH and ive been in the market for a caprice for the last 3 months. Well I finaly found the girl of my dreams about two hours north of my home town and i purchased it last friday. The way i see it is a car girlfriends way better than a real girlfriend and the only time shell ever brake my heart is when shes broken down!
Now to my last point. My heart is broken.. because after I purchased the car I didnt make it 20 miles before something popped out and i coasted into a truck stop... After running off my list of four letter words i hopped back in the chevy silvarado, ran to uhaul and rented a car dolly and towed her back home. Over the last three days after work ive been outside trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with it, asking everyone i know for their advice. This car is a project for me as i have never fixed anything on a car that i couldnt just unbolt and replace from the top of the engine. But i am determined to completely handle this project with my own hands. The car still turns on and sounds outstanding but i am not getting any torque to my rear wheels. ive tried gassing it and dropping it from park to reverse and it jerks like it wants to move but it doesnt.
Ive jacked the caprice up and examined the under side of the vehicle ( I figured i would be missing the drive shaft or a U joint but everything was in tacked as far as i could reakon.) Im not sure about it but ive heard a few things from people (U joint being bad. transmission burnt out, drive shaft failure.) but none of that means anything to me because i cant test it or i just dont know how. Any Ideas would be helpful.

Anyways, on a side note here are my long term goals for the car:
Feed back on this would also help me out
------------------------------------------------
Price: $430.95 - holley vaccum 650cfm secondary electrc choke
Price: $2,059.95 - Engine Assembly, Crate Engine, Chevy 350, 290 hp, 326 ft.-lbs. Torque, Each
Price: $325.00 - Orion 12" x2 & AMP 1600watt + 7 in dvd radio
Price: $50.00 - Kenwood speakers 6.5" 3-Way Speaker System
Price: $200.0 - Water, RPM, oil, vaccuum gauge
Price: $142.15 - Drive shaft
Price: $395.99 - Struts & hocks
Price: $400.00 - maaco paint job

Thanks everyone!

-Mike
Old April 4th, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

get a rebuilt (probably t350) transmission.
Old April 4th, 2013, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Sounds like it's time for a tranny.
Old April 4th, 2013, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
get a rebuilt (probably t350) transmission.
Yeh its a t350.

I actually have a rebuilt 700r4 in the trunk, but i think i have to talk to someone about getting the drive shaft shortened.

Thanks. I was hopeing it was the trany!