Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2020, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Problems

Hi everyone, I have a 1993 Caprice LS. The engine turns over but it will not start the first time. I turn the key, the engine turns over but it does not start. The second time the engine always starts. Once the car has been running I can start it on the first try.

I just did a tune-up with a new rotor, cap wires, and spark plugs. I followed the Chevy specifications.

One morning I heard a vacuum sound form the engine (after turning the key) before it started up, and that was the beginning of my starting problems.
To put it in perspective it was about 10 F that morning. The weather had been single digits that week.
I also use the delay for my headlights so they stay on 10 seconds after the car is shut off.
Could I have damaged my battery by leaving the headlight delay on during the winter, or is there a vacuum leak and a damaged battery?

Thanks!
Old April 25th, 2020, 12:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBeatnik
Hi everyone, I have a 1993 Caprice LS. The engine turns over but it will not start the first time. I turn the key, the engine turns over but it does not start. The second time the engine always starts. Once the car has been running I can start it on the first try.

I just did a tune-up with a new rotor, cap wires, and spark plugs. I followed the Chevy specifications.

One morning I heard a vacuum sound form the engine (after turning the key) before it started up, and that was the beginning of my starting problems.
To put it in perspective it was about 10 F that morning. The weather had been single digits that week.
I also use the delay for my headlights so they stay on 10 seconds after the car is shut off.
Could I have damaged my battery by leaving the headlight delay on during the winter, or is there a vacuum leak and a damaged battery?

Thanks!
How long do you crank the first time?
Old April 25th, 2020, 12:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 347 Likes on 328 Posts

Sounds like it is the check valve in the fuel pump assembly is bad. If it is, you can replace the fuel pump or you can add a check valve in the fuel line near the fuel tank.
Old April 25th, 2020, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

The first crank, I hold it for three seconds or so. If I counted one one thousand and so on, probably three seconds.
Old April 25th, 2020, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

That was my first thought as well, I had a fuel pump go out on a Grand Marquis. When I took it to the shop (my Chevy) they said it started fine. I will see about the check valve too.
Old April 25th, 2020, 9:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBeatnik
The first crank, I hold it for three seconds or so. If I counted one one thousand and so on, probably three seconds.
Try key on, no crank for ten seconds, then try to start it.
Old April 26th, 2020, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

Several years ago my Silverado did the same thing. I added the check valve and no more problems. The check valve was bad but the pump was still good.
Old April 26th, 2020, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Great thanks! I will try that and let you know how it goes.

One other question, after I had the tune-up done, I can still feel a slight misfire. Some days are worse than others. I had read a post, where Caprice owners said it happened to them as well. I purchased the parts that Chevy called for. Any thoughts on that?
When I took it to my mechanic he ran a diagnostic and said he could not find any problems. Thanks again.

Last edited by TheBeatnik; April 26th, 2020 at 4:57 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help. Would you guys have any suggestions about frame work? I have two spots on the frame that have rotted out towards the middle of the car if I remember correctly. Do you think that can be repaired, and if so is it worth the cost since it is a 93?

When I had the car inspected before buying, the head mechanic showed me the rotted areas and said not to worry this was normal for a Chevy. I would like to repair it if possible.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 7:40 AM
CF Monarch

How big are the rotted spots and exactly where are they located? Can you post a picture of them? What condition is the rest of the car in such as interior, body and other rust? A good welder could probably do it. Depending on where it is would depend on how much kit would cost as it is mostly labor.

Quick Reply: Starting Problems