Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Vibration from rear passenger side, brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2020, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration from rear passenger side, brake squeal

Hi everyone,

I had my car in storage for 5 months. I just took it out and after driving it about 10 miles, this loud thud that was heard when coming to a stop, also stopped. It sounded like a car that has slammed on its brakes and the rubber across the road. After driving the car around the sound stopped. If I lightly braked, the sound did not happen. By the time I got to my shop it had completely stopped.

The other question is there is a rattling sound coming from the rear left wheel. Every time the wheel turns, you hear a rattling. I think a brake caliper or pad is loose. The mechanic said it could be the brake drums. Does a '93 caprice still use drum brakes?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

PS I know my ABS does not work. Could it be hanging up after being in storage for 5 months?
Old October 17th, 2020, 4:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBeatnik
Hi everyone,

I had my car in storage for 5 months. I just took it out and after driving it about 10 miles, this loud thud that was heard when coming to a stop, also stopped. It sounded like a car that has slammed on its brakes and the rubber across the road. After driving the car around the sound stopped. If I lightly braked, the sound did not happen. By the time I got to my shop it had completely stopped.

The other question is there is a rattling sound coming from the rear left wheel. Every time the wheel turns, you hear a rattling. I think a brake caliper or pad is loose. The mechanic said it could be the brake drums. Does a '93 caprice still use drum brakes?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

PS I know my ABS does not work. Could it be hanging up after being in storage for 5 months?
Depends:

5.7 Liter has rear disks period
5.0 Could be either drum or disk
4.3 has drum rear brakes.

The police LOVED the Caprice, so if yours is a "Police Special" it has four-way disk brakes and a high HP V8 engine,
Old October 18th, 2020, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Drum Brakes and Speedometer Wrong

Thanks for the info. I got my car checked out and it has drum brakes, which need to be replaced. I am looking at replacing them on my own. I watched a do it yourself video. Any suggestions?

The other question is I need new tires. My speedometer is faster by 12 or 15 mph than the car. When I checked the model of my Chevy, the tires on there are one of the options for the model. Any ideas on that?

Thanks again!
Old October 19th, 2020, 11:47 AM
CF Monarch

Thanks for the info. I got my car checked out and it has drum brakes, which need to be replaced. I am looking at replacing them on my own. I watched a do-it-yourself video. Any suggestions?

The other question is I need new tires. My speedometer is faster by 12 or 15 mph than the car. When I checked the model of my Chevy, the tires on there are one of the options for the model. Any ideas on that?

Thanks again!
You can change the little speedometer gear in the transmission housing, so you have an accurate read-out. Make sure your emergency brake is working properly. Clean the backing plate out, but if it's worn at the contact points you'll have to replace them, then apply a light coat of grease to the contact points. I use Neversieze as it comes with a brush making it a piece of cake, and its pretty water-resistant and anti-wear. Might be a good idea to replace the slave cylinders as well since they don't cost much. I'd flush the whole system to get all the moisture out of the brake fluid on such an old Chevy. It's not hard, and you can see how to do it on Youtube by yourself if you can't find a helper. Check everything for rust or corrosion. I'd drain your axle lubricant too since it's so old and you can inspect the spider gears. Of course, you may have the old non sealed Zerk fittings on your old Caprice driveline. So needless to say 'I'd grease those good too. I'm a stickler for keeping water out of everything, so optionally I'd run a hose from the axle vent up high in case you ever encounter a deep water situation as they do in Florida and Texas in hurricane season, that is not necessary, just an option. Get the drums specked out, and if too far out, buy new ones. Hit em' with a brake cleaner or solvent as many come with a light coat of oil, so they look good and don't come with any corrosion.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; October 19th, 2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old October 19th, 2020, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Great! Thank you Oilcanhenry. I appreciate the in-depth answers. I am new to this and trying to learn as much as possible so I can diagnose and repair problems on my own.
I have to say there is something about the way a '93 Chevy Caprice rides and the feedback, it just a lot of fun to drive.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (October 19th, 2020)
Old October 19th, 2020, 10:16 PM
CF Monarch

Great! Thank you Oilcanhenry. I appreciate the in-depth answers. I am new to this and trying to learn as much as possible so I can diagnose and repair problems on my own.
I have to say there is something about the way a '93 Chevy Caprice rides and the feedback, it just a lot of fun to drive.
I like rear-wheel drive cars too as I grew up with them. Easy to work on (like fan belts, water pumps, ect, all easy to change. Of course smoking the tires looks way cooler on a RWD car, then a FDW vehicle doing the same, not that I ever got caught doing exhibition of speed! LOL!!!