Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Weird Electrical Issue! HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Electrical Issue! HELP PLEASE!

Few weeks ago I left work, went to start my car, the lock only on the drivers side was fluttering up and down and then stayed down! There was a full tank of gas but the fuel gauge went well above the fuel "full" mark and stayed. I started the car and not 5 feet from where I was parked it died. Its cranks and cranks maybe turns over 1 out of 5 times trying and immediately dies.
Towed it home, figured it was the battery, don't ask why. I bought a new one however and also replaced the fuel pump. Drove it around today for about an hour and got to my mailbox on the way home, the drivers door lock made some noise and the fuel gauge, again, well above full.
Also, the fuel gauge itself and the drivers door lock are both grounded in the same spot. Checked it, nothing out of the ordinary!
Don't know which direction to go from here.
Old March 30th, 2013, 7:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rachel Johnston Smith
Few weeks ago I left work, went to start my car, the lock only on the drivers side was fluttering up and down and then stayed down! There was a full tank of gas but the fuel gauge went well above the fuel "full" mark and stayed. I started the car and not 5 feet from where I was parked it died. Its cranks and cranks maybe turns over 1 out of 5 times trying and immediately dies.
Towed it home, figured it was the battery, don't ask why. I bought a new one however and also replaced the fuel pump. Drove it around today for about an hour and got to my mailbox on the way home, the drivers door lock made some noise and the fuel gauge, again, well above full.
Also, the fuel gauge itself and the drivers door lock are both grounded in the same spot. Checked it, nothing out of the ordinary!
Don't know which direction to go from here.
Yes , even though it is a shot in the dark , check all the grounds you can find .

Check the fuse panels and where any relays are & make sure nothing is loose or burned up , even if you have to take things loose to visually inspect things / connections on the back side of components .

Buy a Hayes or Chilton manual and try to trace down all the parts acting up & see if they come together as a common point ?

Are the battery post connections good ? No corrosion under plastic / rubber coverings ?

I would be tempted to try pulling the fuse for the electric doors & see ig that changed anything ?

God bless
Wyr