Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2017, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get results from diagnostics? We took ours in to a certified dealership for a diagnostics test but got zero results.
Old March 31st, 2017, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

If you are having electrical issues , add the alternator to the battery cable and it fixes it.
Old March 31st, 2017, 6:44 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry , yes we had the car at the dealership a number of times , every time they replaced some part but the issue continued. We added the extra battery cable and it fixed it.
Old April 19th, 2017, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shuvl
03/29/2017 update.... The gmproblemsolver.com site is no longer up. Hmmmm... wonder why? I need to look in my archives. Hoping I might have pdf'd the tech page for this fix.
Must have jinx'd myself. My wife's car is now back at the dealership for the same issues ... and more.... and can't find my old copy of the article.

By chance, did anyone here save a copy of the GMPROBLEMSOLVER.COM website article before the site was taken down?
Old June 30th, 2017, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MartyH
I bought this from a dealer used in 13. Started having electrical problems this past few months, much the same as on these pages. I replaced the battery and it was fine for a couple months but now problems are back and battery is good. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have them change the battery cables hopefully that fixes it because it isn't cheap. Not impressed that the problem is so well known yet Chevy isn't doing anything about the problem.
Today is the day that I finally get out of Chevy Captiva prison. I am headed to the Toyota dealer to buy a new vehicle. I will never, ever , ever buy, or let my children buy a Chevy product for the rest of our lives. This is a great day, Hey Chevy GFYS.

Low voltage

Dash lights goes crazy with various and multiple warnings

Car systematically shuts off electrical components, leaves me driving with no lights at night until it stalls.

Regularly stalls at stop signs.

Radio is the first thing to shut off, then you know trouble is coming.

Batteries, alternators, cables, electronic boards, nothing helps for very long.

Wipers fail

Servo motors for dampers fail, cant switch from heating to cooling.

Problems are problems, when you have a problem you fix it, but not to Chevy, Chevy knows there is a problem with this vehicle and does absolutely nothing about it.

Thanks for nothing.

Last edited by MartyH; June 30th, 2017 at 7:23 AM. Reason: adding info
Old June 30th, 2017, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jayssell
If you are having electrical issues , add the alternator to the battery cable and it fixes it.
Since I am fortunate enough to be going to buy a new Toyota today and unfortunate enough that I have to keep this POS because in no way do I want to trade it in and pin these problems on some other unsuspecting sucker that might get killed by this car. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I did that to someone so I will try this because it seems like a low cost test to perform, but basically I have a 2012 Chevy that is going to take up room in my driveway for the next who knows how many years and its a complete waste of money and space now, yeah I might be able to run to rite aid in it or places in this small town but I can't go very far for sure, thank you for your input, much appreciated.
Old July 1st, 2017, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MartyH
Since I am fortunate enough to be going to buy a new Toyota today and unfortunate enough that I have to keep this POS because in no way do I want to trade it in and pin these problems on some other unsuspecting sucker that might get killed by this car. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I did that to someone so I will try this because it seems like a low cost test to perform, but basically I have a 2012 Chevy that is going to take up room in my driveway for the next who knows how many years and its a complete waste of money and space now, yeah I might be able to run to rite aid in it or places in this small town but I can't go very far for sure, thank you for your input, much appreciated.
This is how I finally fixed the Chevy Captiva problem, and its guaranteed to work. Hopefully you can see the pic attached.

Step 1) Park the Chevy off to the side somewhere.

Step 2.) Visit your local Toyota dealer and pick out the vehicle of your choice.

Step 3.) Purchase your pick and drive it home.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Captiva electrical issues-19488837_10209198568696373_8251725882940622929_o.jpg  
Old July 20th, 2017, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Captiva same issues

Add me to the list of the same exact issues of everything on the last 15 pages :-( I'll try the wire from the alternator to the battery but would gauge to use please?
Old July 22nd, 2017, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

I realize that your Captiva is slightly older but I have a 2014 Captiva with all the same symptoms. I have noticed that wiggling my negative battery cable provides some relief for the problem but then it just re-appears. In a search to finally fix my Captiva I found the following...13186: Service Update For Inventory And Customer Vehicles – Incorrect Battery Current Sensor On Negative Battery Cable Assembly which can be found here... https://gm.oemdtc.com/7604/13186-ser...-chevrolet-gmc

Long story short, their is a problem with the negative battery cable causing these types of issues. Buy a new battery cable and put these issues to rest.

Hopefully you can find some use in this reply. Good Luck.
Old August 26th, 2017, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by aivani79
Hi djacob, I was wondering what GM said about your issue? Mine is somewhat similar, in that the radio goes out, powers it self off essentially, then my parking brake service light comes on, then it goes back to normal.
I am experiencing the same issue with my 2012 chevy captiva , I brought it into the shop after they were unable to find any problems they had me pick up my vehicle then ofcourse it happened twice while driving, I returned it a few hours later they replaced the BCM due to a code B1000 . Less than 2 days after this being done the same issues have occurred, while using the turn signal the radio son's, A/C isn't as powerful and the service traction control , service parking brake light illuminates, vehicle slows down! . Made it home after these ghost problems occurred and a hour later my car was dead no power only thing different my key didn't get stuck in the ignition like other times. Waited a minute tried auto start and it started.
Why is this not a recall!

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues