Go Back  Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Captiva
Reload this Page >

2015 Captiva randomly misfires low MPG difficult startup

Notices
Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2015 Captiva randomly misfires low MPG difficult startup

Old January 28th, 2019, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know if anyone is following along, but I feel that making these posts allows me to create a log of findings, experiments etc... and may be useful for others out there somewhere.

Today driving to work, my car has run amazingly well, however I have to read the misfire counts yet. I did not feel a misfire, not a single one, so that alone is an improvement, whether or not the readings show misfires.
This leads me to believe that at least half of the issue must be caused by poor fuel injection. I am under the impression that the injectors were not working properly, and I assume that at least one, if not two injectors were stuck open, and I would also assume that the stuck open injectors were either 1, 2, or 4, as those cylinders had the most misfires. Just before I took my car into the dealer, cylinders 1 & 4 were acting up the most.

Extra notes on this log:
- The dealers induction cleaning service did not completely clear up the issue, however it helped quite a lot.
- The Captiva is still running on e85, haven't put a single tank of regular gas in it for more than three months. (it doesn't like switching back to E10, and I want to keep everything the same, don't want to change too many factors while diagnosing an issue).
- Battery grounds were checked, found some corrosion on the negative ground right next to the battery. Did not resolve the issue, however dome lights no longer flickered.
- At the same time the corrosion was removed on the grounds, new temporary ground straps were installed for testing purposes, and removed later when it made no difference in misfires.

On Saturday, thinking that the dealer may be onto something, and that they are most likely smarter than me, I followed the same assumption as the GM repair tech, and assumed that the issue may have to do with the fuel injection system. I placed the entire contents of a small bottle of Lucas Safe Guard while having a half tank of gas in the car. I then drove approximately 100 miles over the weekend, and today the car performs as if the issue has been resolved (however, I need to check the misfires with a scan tool).

My next step is to read the codes, if the issue still isn't resolved, I am going to look into an injector seal kit, or new injectors entirely. I can also do a fuel pressure leak-down test to see if there is an injector leaking before replacing parts...

Wish me luck!
Old Today, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 Chevy Captiva Sport and mine was doing this also. It ended up being a faulty Camshaft Intake censor. Replaced it and no more stalling out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: