Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

after market front dashcam

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2019, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market front dashcam

Very first time here and this is my first post
I own a Captiva 2.2 FWD 2012 and now I'm evaluating to install a front dashcam aftermarket. I do the work in my second car and I have done a goodwork (used a hardwire kit to a fuse box).
In the Captiva I need to unistall the ceiling lamp console to find some source of 5V power. Not so expert of working with internal panels of Captiva, can you help me?

thank you in advance
Davide
Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I would repeat what you did on your second car. find a 12volts source in run and connect the hard wire kit to drop it to 5 volts. I would not want to run accessory devices off 5volt reference voltages the car uses to run sensors. you do not want to create additional draw on these circuits.

dome lights are not my choice as they provide power at all times...which means you have to turn the dash cam on and off manually. A ignition switch power source at he fuse box is the way to go. Cigarette plug wiring would be acceptable sources if they are powered only in run.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you tech2 for your quick answer!
understood, but in every case I have to find a way to hidden the hardwire cable from the rearview mirror area to the fuse box; in my second car (1996 car) it was easy to do and the panels were easy to remove!
in the Captiva (modern car) I really don't know were to start to do this so my questions are (if you can help of course):
- how to remove central ceiling lamp console?
- where to root to find the first useful 12v fuse ignition powered (cig lighter seem very far to reach)?
thank you
Davide