Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2015, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck in ignition

Hello. Can someone please help me? Lately my key gets stuck in the ACC position and I don't know why. I have to turn the car back on repeatedly to try and get the key out. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am extremely frustrated to the point where I have driven to the dealership twice in tears! My key has been stuck in the car for the past 4 hours. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old March 17th, 2015, 6:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FrustratedinOhio
Hello. Can someone please help me? Lately my key gets stuck in the ACC position and I don't know why. I have to turn the car back on repeatedly to try and get the key out. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am extremely frustrated to the point where I have driven to the dealership twice in tears! My key has been stuck in the car for the past 4 hours. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hello there,

I'm very sorry to hear about your key being stuck in the ignition. I definitely realize the frustration that this would cause. Although we are unable to provide technical advice, we would be happy to assist you with getting this inspected at your local Chevrolet dealer. Do you need roadside assistance?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 17th, 2015, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Hello. I'm home now. The key is still in the ignition. This is not the first time this has happened but it definitely has been the longest amount of time being stuck. I am very displeased and distraught. My friend thinks its the linkage cable but was unable to remove the console to fix it.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello. I'm home now. The key is still in the ignition. This is not the first time this has happened but it definitely has been the longest amount of time being stuck. I am very displeased and distraught. My friend thinks its the linkage cable but was unable to remove the console to fix it.
Glad you're home!

But my sincere apologies for the emotional impact that this situation has caused. We do advise that your local GM dealer is contacted regarding this matter with your ignition key. Would you like assistance with that process?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 20th, 2015, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did your dealer say? He obviously didn't solve it?

Is the car really in park? You should only able to start in park or neutral. It shouldn't start in a gear (I could be mistaken). So it's sounds like it starts - so I'm doubting the linkage is a problem.

I've read many reports on here about dead batteries that don't let your key out. (I believe on other models, but they should all mostly behave the same these days across platforms). And yes I think that's a dumb idea if you ask me.
Old January 4th, 2018, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 Captiva and I have stepped on the brakes, placed the emergency break on and everything. Still stuck in the ignition. HELP
Old January 4th, 2018, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Is this a recall issue?