Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

03 Cavalier ignition help!

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2020, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Cavalier ignition help!

I have an 03 Cavalier and was driving back from an evening out when my passenger decided to slam my gear Into Park. I was going about 50km when this happened, after that I proceeded to just maintain control of the vehicle. When my car came to a stop, the ignition became locked and I could not restart my car. I ended up putting my car into neutral and moved it to the side of the road. This morning I went to go retrieve it but let me mention this quick fact, I know nothing about cars. In my frustration after hours and hours of trying to get my car to start, I ended up breaking my entire ignition system basically, to the point where a key is rendered useless. I had my vehicle towed to my place ( I know, I should have done that first) but now I need to get it moved into my dad's garage so that it can thus get fixed. I don't have the funds to get it towed to a new spot so what I'm asking is how do I get my car started when my key fails to do anything. I have my fob still but I don't know if in my earlier mangling did any damage to the anti theft system. Any tips would be helpful
Old May 27th, 2020, 2:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdesma
I have an 03 Cavalier and was driving back from an evening out when my passenger decided to slam my gear Into Park. I was going about 50km when this happened, after that I proceeded to just maintain control of the vehicle. When my car came to a stop, the ignition became locked and I could not restart my car. I ended up putting my car into neutral and moved it to the side of the road. This morning I went to go retrieve it but let me mention this quick fact, I know nothing about cars. In my frustration after hours and hours of trying to get my car to start, I ended up breaking my entire ignition system basically, to the point where a key is rendered useless. I had my vehicle towed to my place ( I know, I should have done that first) but now I need to get it moved into my dad's garage so that it can thus get fixed. I don't have the funds to get it towed to a new spot so what I'm asking is how do I get my car started when my key fails to do anything. I have my fob still but I don't know if in my earlier mangling did any damage to the anti theft system. Any tips would be helpful
Well, I don't know why your passenger slammed your automatic transmission into the Park position (imbibed, perhaps?) I'd say they ought to pay you for towing charges as your transmission is almost certainly damaged. If your Cavalier was like one of mine (one was a stick-shift, and one an automatic) they would have had to depress the button on the side of the shifter to shove it into Park, which was a deliberately intentional occurrence, as it would only go into neutral if the side-button was not depressed.
Old May 27th, 2020, 8:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

beat the **** out of your passenger.
before you wrecked the ignition switch...did you have a crank no start or no crank condition/

pretty sure the theft resistor is in the ignition lock cylinder so you will need to do a theft relearn after replacement.