Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1990 Cavalier Problems

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2011, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1990 Cavalier Problems

Hi, guys!

I have a little white 1990 Cavalier that has been with me to hell and back! I'm not really finding anything too specific to what I'm looking for, so I decided to start a new thread. Hopefully you can give me some insight! I'm trying to do everything in my power to avoid the shop...

Just recently, I've had trouble keeping the engine running in both idle, and relatively low speeds. I'm noticing excessive hiccups/hesitation, and unless I drive with two feet (applying the gas along with the brake) when coming to stops or slowing down, I risk having my car stall out. When that happens, I can't get the car re-started in neutral, and I have to shift all the way back to park to get things going again.

In addition, these problems don't occur until a few minutes or so after I start the car. The check engine light then comes on, I can hear the fan kicking in, and it's all pretty much downhill from there. Somehow, I've still been able to manage driving the car, but I'm not trying to push my luck. I bought the Haynes Repair Manual, but it's hard to decipher exactly what they're talking about most of the time...

1990 Cavalier VL 2.2L 4cyl
163,XXX miles
Recently changed oil and oil filter (within the last month)
Fuel pump is nearly brand new (less than 2 years old)
Newer spark plugs/wires (within the last 3 years)
Changed air filter
New MAT sensor
Quick-cleaned Throttle Body, but did NOT remove for complete cleaning
Fluids all appear normal

I suspect it may be the IAC valve, or something else in the ignition manifold, but I'm not an expert by any means. Maybe a misfire? - Faulty spark plugs/wires? I'm out of ideas...

Where should I start?? Ha ha...I'm not ready to get rid of this car just yet!
Old July 1st, 2011, 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short the two adjacent connectors in the test plug under driver's side dash to count the blinking CEL and see what the codes are. Disconnect the batter for 10-30 minutes to clear the codes and drive it until they are set again to make sure. Sounds like oxygen sensor; they sell a nifty socket to pull those, but the codes will tell if that is what it is. Search some of the threads here, someone might suggest the tranny is not disengaging automatically when slowing down, or if no codes are set, it may be a fuel issue even if you just put a new pump in. Clean the IAC, that is easy and a good place to start. Good Luck!