Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

RPM surges

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2011, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM surges

Hello everyone!
I have a 2002 Cavalier and I noticed a few months ago that the car will surge, not a lot but enough. I was planning a trip and wanted to get it checked out by a mechanic. I have been to three places and none of them know exactly what is wrong. First place said they thought it was a shift solenoid and referred me to a transmission shop. That place "thought" it might be the torque converter and quoted me a price of $1300. I went to get a second opinion and they recommended I get a rebuilt transmission for about $2300. Both of those are a bit pricey for something that they are not sure of. The car has about 147,000 miles. The check engine light is not on and no one can get any problem codes. I have changed the spark plugs and wires, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the air intake valve and throttle position sensor and the problem still exists. I have noticed now a slight jerking while on the highway. The car idles fine. Any suggestions?? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today she died on me three times while on the highway for about 5 miles, the AC was on. She didn't die on the way back without the AC.
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

STLgirl,

I have a few questions for you before I hypothesize what the culprit behind your surging issue could be: is your car overheating? Do you smell gas at all? Any noticeable decrease in fuel mileage as of recently?

The source of your surging could be anything from a bad EGR valve, o2 sensor, fuel pump to a faulty ignition coil. Typically a bad o2 sensor will trigger your 'Check Engine' light to come on but sometimes an o2 sensor that is in the process of failing will not immediately register on the car's diagnostics system. Since you've replaced the MAP sensor already, I would have a certified mechanic check out the o2 sensor on your Cavalier. Worst case scenario would be that you have to replace a $78 part. (at Part Detail- I called my local Chevrolet dealer and they quoted me $138 for the same part)

If replacing the o2 sensor fails to resolve the surging issue then I would inspect the other parts that I've mentioned earlier in the post.

I wish you the best of luck with resolving this mechanical woe!
Old July 1st, 2011, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for replying!!!!
To answer your questions, I have not noticed it overheating or a smell of gas but I do notice a decrease in the mileage.
I will have someone check out the O2 sensor.
I will keep you updated!!!
Thanks again!
Old July 5th, 2011, 2:37 AM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, another problem has started....!

The RPM goes up and down ( 800- 1000) at Idle speeds, The engine takes more RPM than speed when moving first gear..and on road whenever I speed up..the RPM reves more than the speed ( RPM goes 2000 and then comes down to 1500)..!
This happened a few months back and got resolved on its own...I was suspecting a dirty throttle since the engine is timed and tuned..! The dealer confirms my suspicion..However I wanted to know that...Till date I've never had to clean the Fuel Injectors...! Whenever I myself asked the Showroom Service Tech to do it, I was advised that they are fine and don't need cleaning...So should I take their advise or should I go ahead and do it anyway...!

Does a dirty throttle cause Surges in RPM...!