Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1993 Chevrolet Cavalier it jerks badly eventually stalls

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2009, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier it jerks badly eventually stalls

Hi,
I have 1993 model Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2.2Lt Automatic trans.
My problem is when I start the car I've noticed annoying vibration which I can feel through the gas pedal and steering wheel as well. Vibration goes when I gain speed but I can stiil feel it on accelerator pedal. Could it be engine mounts collapsing?

My second problem is about stalling.When the engine is hot it doesn't downshift when coming to a quick stop.And then it shakes back and forth eventually stalls.After waiting for a while I start it again but when I put the gear into driving mode it stalls again.I can't move it unless I accelerate right away after put the gear into drive mode.

When I went to mechanic and he plugged out the solenoid connector.And then I drove it aprox. 20mins but unfortunately it stalled again. He said that it's not TCC Solenoid failure. Torque convertor could be causes the problem or transmission body valve.First body valve must be cleaned.But he said that it will cost too much money to get it cleaned.About 500$..
Well, I want to ask that to dear members of this web-site; Is it highly possible that these parts lead to stalling of my car?
Thanks

Last edited by hokans; December 26th, 2009 at 3:41 PM.
Old August 10th, 2010, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your 1st problem is motor mounts. I had the same problem until I changed the 2 front mounts. Now I need to change the one in the back....

The second prob sounds like trans.