Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1997 chevrolet cavalier 2.2L exhaust size

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 chevrolet cavalier 2.2L exhaust size

For the life of me i can not figure out what the exhaust size is before the cat if anyone knows it would be VERY nice cause i am wanting to rework this old rusted exhaust from behind the cat upwards.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 9:11 AM
Former Sponsor

The Universal converter for your Cavalier shows a 2 1/2" diameter pipe size

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Catalytic Converter - Eastern Catalytic, Walker, Bosal - TheAutoPartsShop - TheAutoPartsShop

But unless you are doing other modifications, the car won't run correctly without the cat.

The front pipe and intermediate pipes for your car are listed at the limnk below. Remember, that front pipe also had a flex section because of the movement of the engine...that may pose additional issues.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Exhaust Pipe - Walker - TheAutoPartsShop - TheAutoPartsShop

It may not be worth your time and trouble when you can change the engine pipe and cat for around 250.00
Old May 24th, 2012, 3:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by johntaps
The Universal converter for your Cavalier shows a 2 1/2" diameter pipe size

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Catalytic Converter - Eastern Catalytic, Walker, Bosal - TheAutoPartsShop - TheAutoPartsShop

But unless you are doing other modifications, the car won't run correctly without the cat.

The front pipe and intermediate pipes for your car are listed at the limnk below. Remember, that front pipe also had a flex section because of the movement of the engine...that may pose additional issues.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Exhaust Pipe - Walker - TheAutoPartsShop - TheAutoPartsShop

It may not be worth your time and trouble when you can change the engine pipe and cat for around 250.00

Haha! 250 dollers for all that crap1?! i REALLY appreciate you taking the time to search it for me but from behind the cat is being removed and welding in a new high flow cat and then either have some pipe go to a glasspack muffler or just do one directly welded to cat with a new O2 sensor bung and O2 sensor and then out into a pipe or a 90 degree bend depending on my room and into the 2.5 exhaust out the side. Simple and hopefully going to sound good. HF cat is 70 dollers and glasspack is about 25 or so and the O2 sensors are like 30 or 40 bucks total and then the welder and hack saw are not cheap either but owell. Bung is cheap too like four bucks from ebay. Cant go wrong there!! Also there is no way in hell im going to be able to unbolt anything because its so rusted.

Last edited by mattintc; May 24th, 2012 at 3:40 AM.