Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1998 Cavalier Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2007, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cavalier Brake problem

My son has a 1998 Cavalier with a brake problem. First off, all brake pads,rotors, shoes and drums have been replaced. All calipers and wheel cylinders are working properly.

The problem: when you press on the brake the pedal goes all the way to the floor. No brakes. The ABS light is not on. The booster holds vacuum. The master cyl. (with ABS module) has been replaced. The ABS unit has been re-honed (?) When you clamp off the rear flex line to block off the back brakes, still nothing. Fluid is full with no leaks. System was bled to make sure no air in lines.

The car had worked great, brakes and all until my son had decided to change the rims and tires. He put the two on the passenger's side and then turned the car in the driveway to change the two on the drivers side. After this, no brakes. The new tires he put on were a 16" low profile. When he moved the car is it possible something got an error reading because of the two different tire sizes? I would assume the wheels would be turning at a different rate?

The car was put on the computer and the mechanic claims there are no codes pertaining to the ABS system or brakes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1998 Cavalier Brake problem

Try removing one of the aftermarket rims and have someone depress the brake pedal while you watch the pads, and see what its doing.