Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1999 Cavalier Dash board

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2011, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Cavalier Dash board

So I have now had my, ignition switch, starter, alternator, catty convert, muffler, battery, bad ignition coils and a couple lights all replace in the last year. So I think cavaliers are pretty sucky cars, now I had to get a new dashboard in my vehicle because my car would not start. Has anyone encountered this problem? Can anyone shed some light on it, now my new dashboard has 30,000 more miles on it then my old dashboard so I probably wont be able to sell the car. They said the dashboard circuit board was messed up and it wouldn't let the computers get in to diagnose the problem.. Please help
Old September 9th, 2011, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Bump..
Old September 9th, 2011, 5:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you're asking since you already have a replacement I/P cluster. If it's a case of trust, I doubt they lied. The Passlock sensor on the ignition switch on your vehicle is connected to the I/P cluster. Then, a no-start (actually start and then fuel disable) problem from the theft-deterrent system is primarily either the Passlock sensor, I/P cluster, or wiring between. As for the odometer, just keep the paperwork that says what the readings were on the original vs. replacement part.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not the best at mechanics, so i'm going to respond to your post as followed.
They put a new ignition switch in and it did not do anything, the theft code was on, and they said they couldn't get into the computer to find out the problem. Also the fuel pump was not working, could the dash board effect that? Why would a dashboard stop a car from starting? Now my new dashboard reads 50,000 more miles FML
Old September 10th, 2011, 1:00 AM
CF Veteran

As I've stated, the Passlock sensor circuit is connected to the I/P cluster. Also, the I/P cluster and PCM communicate over the UART data bus which means the I/P cluster can bring down the bus and interfere with the PCM operations. So they probably disconnected the I/P cluster and could then access the PCM with the scan tool. That would be good enough for me to suspect the I/P cluster as the culprit. I understand your frustration but please don't state it in the form of questions if you're just bitching about the unfairness of it all.
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

I'm not 'bitching' about the unfairness, I think they are pulling my leg and there is not a chevy dealership anywhere close so IDK if they are making up misfires, because they dont warranty any of the pieces. And I dont want something to go wrong next week and come to figure out they never fixed the original problem in the first place.
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

I've tried to explain where the I/P cluster fits in among the problems you described. A vehicle that old is bound to have electrical and mechanical problems and thus it can break down with another issue tomorrow or next week. The way I see it, you don't like your vehicle and don't trust the repair shop. None of us can help you with that. Good luck.