Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1999 Cavalier electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2018, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Cavalier electrical issues

Hello I'm new to this forum. I have a 1999 Cavalier Z24 with a 2.4L engine. I recently have come across some major electrical problems. My wife was going to drive to town in it yesterday. She opened the drivers door and she could hear clicking coming from somewhere inside the car. She tried to start it but it would not start. She then noticed the instrument panel going haywire then it quit. The engine does crank but there are no headlights and the instrument panel doesn't light up. The turn signals work and so does blower fan. As I said the engine cranks normally so I don't think it's the battery or its terminals. Could it be a ground connection? The car was driven just a few days ago and it was fine. Any thoughts as what might be wrong here??
Old September 8th, 2018, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. When I check the fuses inside the car I get about 2.7 volts on the headlight, cluster and Inst LPS fuses. Could a bad PCM cause this erratic voltage or is it just a bad connection somewhere??
Old September 8th, 2018, 8:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad fusable link?inspect power wires leaving starter,green fungus on a connection is a giveaway,or wiggle wires with headlights on