Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2.2 head gasket opinion.

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2011, 8:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.2 head gasket opinion.

I have a 96 cavalier 2.2 couple days ago I noticed a very small leak right on the back corner of the head spark plug side. only did it for a couple mins until engine want cold. it leaked very little if I was to spit it would be about 5 times as much as it leaks each time. wasn't in the oil or exhaust. so I tightened up the head bolts and bought a bottle of k & w stop leak for 7 bucks. put it in and since then no leaks. I bought the motor 3months ago from the salvage yard and I'm pretty sure the head was done before I got it. ive been slammed on jbody.org for using the stop leak but I'm low on cash so right now it is all I can do . im wondering what you guys think? maybe the gasket was dry from sitting in a yard and the stop leak will work long term? I know people who have said alluminum has a tendency to seep and stop leak will work and others go nuts about using it. Ive heard all the horror stories so please don't give me hell I know already . thanks all for reading sorry for the lengthy post just wana be detailed