Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2000 Cavalier project

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2011, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely needs a shop but here is the problem. Most will not want to get involved in it if you tell them but if you do not tell them that could be worse. This failure is most likely not a failure that would happen on it own thus making it more difficult to find. There could be more than one problem with this . You could pay several hundred in testing. I recommend you find someone qualified to figure it out and tell them the truth. Also if it is a programming issue most independent shops can not do it.
Old December 21st, 2011, 5:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking that too, I know someone that has the right equipment to program and fix this. He specializes in automotive electrical problems. The question that I'm now faced with is when I take this to him shouldn't I also take him the VIN off the car that I got the replacement parts from? EinST wrote that I might try to place a jumper wire where the fuel pump relay plugs into the fuse box. I know that he wasn't talking a permanent fix but maybe just to see if the fuel pump would start? I'm in the auto salvage/scrap field of employment, so I have access to used parts per say. I thought about trying another PCM? from another car with the same specs.
Old December 26th, 2011, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, First I wish everybody had a great Christmas out there! I want to thank EinST and MDTAHOE for helping Me out on my 2000 cavalier project, I really appreciate you both for answering my questions. I had that friend of mine come over and bring his scanner and we found that everything was okay with the PCM at the time we started tracing down wires.and found out that the fuse box where the fuel pump relay plugs into was not getting a good connection fixed that and proceeded to trace powerless wire to the fuel pump. He had a test light that would check for grounded out wires then He could with the same test light apply 12v power to the circuit that was not getting power. We traced it back to the large wiring harness connector that connects the engine/PCM harness to the insturment/dash wiring harness. When I connected these two plugs I bent the wire tab that feeds the fuel pump. That was it! I put all the wires that We tapped into back together,spliced and solder them then put dielectric paste on them then heat shrunk all splices. I again want to Thank You both for helping Me. My friend left Me to finish up all My splices and finish installing the rest of the parts to complete My project. I finished it up and took it for a ride and everything sounds great checked fluid in transmission ( I changed the pump seal and fluid with filter along with filter seal when installing unit) I have reverse and 1st and 2nd gear, it won't shift into 3rd or 4th gears. tried doing it manually with no results. any ideals?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 3:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooth
Well, First I wish everybody had a great Christmas out there! I want to thank EinST and MDTAHOE for helping Me out on my 2000 cavalier project, I really appreciate you both for answering my questions. I had that friend of mine come over and bring his scanner and we found that everything was okay with the PCM at the time we started tracing down wires.and found out that the fuse box where the fuel pump relay plugs into was not getting a good connection fixed that and proceeded to trace powerless wire to the fuel pump. He had a test light that would check for grounded out wires then He could with the same test light apply 12v power to the circuit that was not getting power. We traced it back to the large wiring harness connector that connects the engine/PCM harness to the insturment/dash wiring harness. When I connected these two plugs I bent the wire tab that feeds the fuel pump. That was it! I put all the wires that We tapped into back together,spliced and solder them then put dielectric paste on them then heat shrunk all splices. I again want to Thank You both for helping Me. My friend left Me to finish up all My splices and finish installing the rest of the parts to complete My project. I finished it up and took it for a ride and everything sounds great checked fluid in transmission ( I changed the pump seal and fluid with filter along with filter seal when installing unit) I have reverse and 1st and 2nd gear, it won't shift into 3rd or 4th gears. tried doing it manually with no results. any ideals?
Thanks for the update. I'm not certain what to make of the transaxle problem. The PCM controls it and thus you need a proper scan tool to figure out what's being commanded and why. Oh, Happy New Year!.