Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2000 Cavalier z24 quits after ruuning

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2008, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Cavalier z24 quits after ruuning

Hi everyone, I have a 2000 cavalier z24 2.4 with 182000km on it. Car runs really good, can get at least 800km on a tank of gas.

Few days ago, was driving home on the hwy and the car just stalls. As I was sitting there calling for some assistance (10 min), I decided to give a try, the engine started and proceeded home. 2 km down the highway, it did the same and stalls out. It did this 3 times, let the vehicle sit for about 5-10 min and finally was able to start it got me home. It worked very well over the weekend untill this morning when I left for work, it did the same thing.

I read on this forum somewhere someone had the exact same problem and they changed out the feul filter and pump and it did not solve the problem. They also talked about a fuse in the fuse panel as well as a relay under hood. If someone knows exactly what fuse and relay to look into, it will be greatly appreciated.I am planning on starting with the fuel filter and work my way from there. I don't think hat it is the pump since I can hear it come on for about 3 sec and then turn off nor, do I think that it is the plugs or cables as it starts on first crank.

I am hoping that some others have experienced this problem with thier vehicle that will be able to provide with some clues to diagnose the problem and hopefully fixing it.