Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Cavalier

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2009, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cavalier

Hey guys. New to the forum. My g/f has a 2001 cav coupe with the 2.2 (I don't think its the ecotech). Changing her oil for the first time. I have a floor jack/stands. Wanting to know where the best lift point for the jack would be. I want to raise the whole front end and use the stands on the pinch welds. That's how I do it on my Subie and it works well. Wanting to know where the safest spot is, and what to look for before I climb under there for the first time. Cross member, rad support, tow hooks, what am I looking for?

Also how accessable is the filter, I have heard some horror stories about removing the intake, but assuming that's not really necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should place your stand right next to the same point you Jack the car up with to replace a tire. these area are reenforced and or the strongest parts of the frame.

the Oil filter can be pain to get to but you will not need to remove the intake, just make sure the car is cool, not cold. do it the morning, run your engine for about 2 minutes this should get things flowing nicely, without making the intake or exhaust to hot.

I recommend you use a Band style can wrench not the end socket style to remove the oil filter. I could never get the end sockets to fit or stay on correctly.

When replacing the oil filter, install it to hand tight then make 1/4 turn with the wrench. Also prime the filter with new oil first as well as putting some oil on the rubber o-ring.