Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Cavalier Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2019, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cavalier Manual Transmission

I have a manual transmission on a 2.2 engine. Last night on the interstate I went to shift gears and there was no drive from from the transmission. Towed home, now I can put it in any gear, but no movement. Even with revving engine, there is no attempt for movement forward or back. Is the only option the clutch & pressure plate?
Old March 11th, 2019, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Clutch and plate would be my guess since it has happen to me twice (clutch breaking the centers out of them), But it could be sticking slave cylinder keeping the clutch disengaged. That happen to me on a 92 cavalier. Damaged trans-axle, Or broke or damaged axle but I'm sure you would have known that.
Good luck

Last edited by Eddie1966; March 11th, 2019 at 4:40 PM.
Old March 11th, 2019, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Eddie1966
Clutch and plate would be my guess since it has happen to me twice (clutch breaking the centers out of them), But it could be sticking slave cylinder keeping the clutch disengaged. That happen to me on a 92 cavalier. Damaged trans-axle, Or broke or damaged axle but I'm sure you would have known that.
Good luck
Thanks, and yes I think I would have noticed a broken axle.
Old March 11th, 2019, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

+1
if the trans performs the shift but the engine rpm is flaring...its probably a slipping clutch.
how many miles did you get out of the clutch....it probably lived a full life.
Old March 12th, 2019, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
+1
if the trans performs the shift but the engine rpm is flaring...its probably a slipping clutch.
how many miles did you get out of the clutch....it probably lived a full life.
Well, I bought the car used a few months ago and quite frankly it's been used and abused quite well. So, I would agree that the clutch has probably outlived lived its life. It's just that it's a front wheel drive, and I haven't pulled a front wheel drive transmission before. So I just wanted to be sure what I was going for before I tear into it.