Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 chevy cavalier starter problem

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2016, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 chevy cavalier starter problem

01 chevy cavalier starter problem,just changed starter and it does same thing old one did all it does is click like a machine gun,checked battery,checked ground,what could be the problen here,if i hook my small motorcycle battery up twith jumper cables it will turn over real slow and start if it isnt hooked up all it does is continually click.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

update:starter and battery went bad at same time that's a new one for me,battery tested good for voltage but when u try to start car went down to 11 volts so battery had a bad cell and starter motor was bad i suspect it was brushes for the motor.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Did you do a load test on the battery? Did you check both end of both abttery cables for corrosion or loose connections?
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

yes i checked all cables cleaned them when i put new starter in and did continuity check everything was fine took battery in to get tested at local carquest they just got a new machine battery tested at 11.8 volts and 1.2 amp hour lol it was bad.