Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier AC troubles

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Cavalier AC troubles

Would like to start out saying glad I found this forum, I'm in a couple forums for my jeep but this is the first one for my Chevys. We have a 2002 Cavalier 2.2 single and a 1973 Chevy Cheyenne with 350. Nice to find a site where I can talk it up about our other rigs now.

So in the Cav right after I had changed the water pump on it the rear defrost and the AC stoped working. Now I have gone through and all the fuses on the inside fuse pannel are good and the also the fuses and the relay in the box/pannel (What ever they call it) under the hood are good. When we turn them on the light for them comes on showing that they are on but they don't work. Also if I have the AC on and take the lid off on the box/pannel under the hood and have a tester lite hooked to the ground then touch it to one of the pins on the relay the AC pump will kick on and also cars idle goes down pretty good (if you are standing on the side of the car I think the pin I touch is the one on the right and I believe it is the #30 one) I saw on here some people a while back dealing with this same thing and they were talking about a AC pressure sensor and connector, they had a pic to show where to find these but it is no longer there and the Haynes book don't show nothing on this. Does anyone have a pic of this and maybe some other ideas of what could be wrong?

Just seems funny that the defrost and the AC stoped working at the same time and also right after I got through putting a new water pump in but I know the water pump has nothing to do with either one of them things HHMMM This one is throwing me for a loop here and I could really use some more ideas on this. And again yes all the fuses are fine. I know once it is figured out and fixed it is going to be one of them things that I am going to slap myself in the head about.

Thank you all for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you on this and furtue topics.

CJ and Family
Old July 12th, 2011, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default a/c problem

well since you got power while messing around with a/c relay did you try switching relay with another relay from box? possible bad relay? if not... the pressure switch and connector on your 2002 cav is located right next to the inline high pressure port for a/c. when looking at car from the front its on the left side of the radiator. its a 3 wire plug that many times the wires break off at the connector.
Old July 12th, 2011, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jimbo141
well since you got power while messing around with a/c relay did you try switching relay with another relay from box? possible bad relay? if not... the pressure switch and connector on your 2002 cav is located right next to the inline high pressure port for a/c. when looking at car from the front its on the left side of the radiator. its a 3 wire plug that many times the wires break off at the connector.
Yeah the relay is fine not only did I buy a new one for it, after getting the new one for it i switched it with the fuel pump relay and still the same thing and the car ran with them switched so I know all the relays are fine. That is the pressure switch and wires I am trying to find, that's why I was hoping that someone had a pic of it because I didn't see it but you gave a little better idea of where it is so going to look again and see if I can find said wire and switch.

Thank you very much for the response I just hope I can find it because I'm sure that is the problem with the AC it is the only thing left that hasn't been replaced. I also can't seem to figure out why the rear defrost won't work now and I have checked all the fuses for that as well. The defrost and the AC stoped working at the same time, I thought that was pretty od to.

CJ
Old June 21st, 2014, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jimbo141
my situation entirely....wire broken off at the plug. how do i replace it?
Old July 4th, 2014, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

ha...nevermind guys...figured it out myself and fixed it up. thanks for all the help.