Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2003 Cavalier died and won't start

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2012, 3:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update. If you took it it for service, I hope it was something minor. If you're still working on it yourself, you may want to post more details, like what you see in the instrument cluster as you turn the key and what exactly you've checked/diagnosed/measured.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for lack of details. Didn't take it for service yet. Estimates way to high. As far as instrument cluster, no lights staying on after initial start sequence. Haven't really measured anything so to speak. Not really sure what to measure. Only thing I haven't replaced is the ICM. Waiting to get paid this Friday to replace it. Engine turns and is getting plenty of fuel. I'm thinking it's gotta be ignition, maybe.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Is the MIL (Check Engine Light, if you will) on in the I/P cluster? You say it "is getting plenty of fuel" but without the MIL on, the PCM may not be working right. You may want to go over the fuses labeled PCM something.
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry about leaving that out. Check engine light is not on. I did put a scanner on it last week and there were no codes coming up. Will check PCM fuses. Will try and give update tomorrow. Thanks.
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Checked all fuses in dash and out on firewall and only 1 fuse was bad. It was the cig lighter fuse. Other than that no other fuses were bad. I did find a crank relay under the hood. Not sure if it is bad. Could that relay be the issue? I would think that if that were the case it would not even spin the engine. Maybe I'm wrong. Anymore ideas? Leaning towards the ICM now.
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

The CRANK relay is there to supply enough current to the starter solenoid. The MIL should be on with key on. Check the voltage at the IGN MDL fuse (fuse in place, through the probe holes on the fuse itself) with key in START. You may have a leg gone bad on the ignition switch.
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Ok. Will try that tomorrow. Work nights. Have to do all this in the mornings. You talking about the IGN fuse in dash? Or is the one on fender well? Thnx.
Old January 5th, 2012, 1:49 PM
CF Veteran

That'd be the the IGN MDL fuse (for the ignition module) in the I/P fuse block (dash, if you will).
Old January 6th, 2012, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Checked the IGN MDL fuse. It was good. It was a 20a. What kinda voltage should I be getting at IGN MDL fuse? May go ahead and order the coil pack control module monday. Still recovering from santa claus.
Old January 6th, 2012, 5:46 PM
CF Veteran

It should be whatever the battery is putting out, 12V and change. Be sure to measure it with key in START.

Quick Reply: 2003 Cavalier died and won't start