Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2003 Cavalier died and won't start

Old January 7th, 2012, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a leg on the switch would it still let the engine turn over? I'm not meaning to sound ungrateful, I am very much so, just thinking out loud I guess.
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Just checked IGN MGL fuse and it was pulling like 13,14 in start position. I'm about ready to dynamite this thing
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't crank only if the leg that supplies the starting circuit is bad. The thing I don't understand is why your MIL isn't lit with key on (I don't know if you said otherwise). That could indicate something wrong with the PCM. Anyway, I'm out of ideas on something I can't see for myself. I hope a new ignition control module works out for you.
Old January 7th, 2012, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

I forgot to tell you, the MIL finally came on this time when I went to check the IGN fuse. So can I check the code and it should shed some light on it? Sorry forgetting to say something about the MIL. This was the first time it has come on
Old January 7th, 2012, 5:12 PM
CF Veteran

The MIL in this case may or may not be associated with a trouble code. I think of it as a quick check to make sure the PCM is alive and can command the I/P cluster to turn on the indicator.
Old January 7th, 2012, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Would I get the 13-14 volts if a leg of the switch was bad? Found a good deal for a IGN module for $50 thru rockauto. At least if that doesn't fix it they'll let u return electrical items
Old January 7th, 2012, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know about "13-14 volts" but I'll assume you have a batter charger hooked up. If so, that's acceptable, i.e., the ignition switch is probably not faulty. Otherwise, I won't be able to trust the measurement.

The ignition switch powers at least three different circuits depending on the key in ACC/RUN, RUN by itself, and RUN/START. Thus, all three power circuits should be live with key on. By checking the IGN MGL fuse, I was just wondering if there was something funny going on in the most important leg.
Old January 7th, 2012, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Should be able to put the module in Tuesday/Wednesday. Will let u know if that works. Thnx for all the help
Old January 11th, 2012, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Well good news and bad news.
Bad news is new IGN module did not fix issue.
Good news is I am done with working on it.
I give up. Taking it to somebody else and let them figure it out. Thanks for all the help though.
Old January 11th, 2012, 5:07 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry to hear it. Hope it's going to be something minor that you're going to kick yourself over. Be sure to let the service writer know what exactly has been going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Cavalier died and won't start