Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2003 Cavalier not starting and dying when driving

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2008, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Cavalier not starting and dying when driving

I have had an off again, on again problem with my Cavalier dying when engaging the clutch during driving.&nbsp\\; It has always started up again.&nbsp\\; That has been happening more and more over the last month.
&nbsp\\;
However, last Friday evening after work, it wouldn't start at all.&nbsp\\; Turns over, doesn't start.&nbsp\\; Ended up having it towed to Car-X where I've had brakes and oil changes done.&nbsp\\; They looked at it Saturday and could find nothing wrong.&nbsp\\; Started fine and couldn't get it to do anything odd.&nbsp\\; Pulled something off from their tech stuff online talking about a recall to reset the PCM computer as this has caused the deceleration and stalling in some of this year's model.&nbsp\\; Said I had to take to dealership for that.
&nbsp\\;
Did so on Monday and they did do that.&nbsp\\; And could find nothing else wrong.&nbsp\\; Also told me what was happening wasn't because of the PCM thing.&nbsp\\; I left, went about 10 miles stopped for an errand, five minutes later came back out and it would hardly start again.&nbsp\\; Took it back to the dealership and they kept it until the next evening.&nbsp\\; They still could find nothing wrong and had no problems.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Today going to work and coming home, no problems.&nbsp\\; I'd been home about 20 minutes and needed to run an errand and it won't start again.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
The only way I can describe it is like it is not getting enough gas and sounds like the engine is "missing" (like older cars use to when spark plugs weren't firing).
&nbsp\\;
I no longer feel like the car is reliable and I really had no intention of buying a new one right now, although I feel like I may be forced to.&nbsp\\; It only has 39k miles on it and other than this problem really has been a super car.
&nbsp\\;
I'm going right back to the dealership in the morning (if I can get it started).&nbsp\\; But wonder if someone here could give me some ideas to take to these people.&nbsp\\; There is something wrong, no doubt.
&nbsp\\;
As it stands now, I've paid a towing bill, a $100 diagnostic service fee, and a day and a half rental car plus gas to have the answer being there is nothing wrong with the car.&nbsp\\; I don't buy that.&nbsp\\; Top it off with the new car sales side has called me twice giving me their present offers.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks !