Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004 Cavalier Rattling Passenger Side Front

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2019, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Cavalier Rattling Passenger Side Front

Hi,

My 2004 Cavalier has a ratting noise in the passenger side front WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS ONLY

Could you PLEASE help me and tell me what this could possibly be?

I am a single mom and I can't afford to be ripped off by an unethical mechanic, so any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you so very much for helping me,
D
Old May 26th, 2019, 4:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

It could be many many things that cause that. Can you be more specific as to where the noise is coming from. Right or left? In the door? In or under the dash? Someone would have to listen to it and do a visual inspection to find it.
Old May 27th, 2019, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
It could be many many things that cause that. Can you be more specific as to where the noise is coming from. Right or left? In the door? In or under the dash? Someone would have to listen to it and do a visual inspection to find it.
Thanks for the response! It is in the PASSENGER SIDE VERY FRONT of the car like by the PASSENGER'S SIDE FRONT BUMPER OR the PASSENGER'S SIDE FRONT WHEEL or the PASSENGER'S SIDE FRONT UNDER THE HOOD?? Somewhere in that area, and It only does it when I go over bumpy roads or bumps.

Just need some ideas of what it could be BEFORE I go to the mechanics on Thurs 5-30-19.

Thanks so much for the help!
D
Old May 27th, 2019, 4:56 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i have a rattle on my 04 impala rear wheel (and front) also. ive replaced the shock/struts on the rear but the noise is still there. havnt really dug too much into it but its either the wheel bearings or the rubber on something is gone. i know this doesnt really help you but might eliminate the shocks/struts
Old May 28th, 2019, 7:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

The last time I saw something like you describe, it was worn out sway bar/stabilizer bushings. Might not be your problem, but it is something to check.
Old May 28th, 2019, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Red face

Thanks everybody for your replies
Old May 28th, 2019, 2:14 PM
I'm here for the party

The last time I saw something like you describe, it was worn out sway bar/stabilizer bushings. Might not be your problem, but it is something to check.
this is prob going to be the first thing i work on on my car also. its either that or the wheel bearing and i doubt it wheel bearing would only make that noise without some other issues
Old May 28th, 2019, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

+1 for sway bar links...especially for the impala
if its a double clunk it could be a ball joint or control arm bushing.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:40 PM
I'm here for the party

was working on my impala a few days ago replace the charcoal canister and fixing the exhaust. decided to look around while the car was on the lift and noticed my sway bar was broken. apparently its a common problem from early 2000s to late 2000s