Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004 Chevy Cavalier Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Chevy Cavalier Not Starting

I have an 04 Cavalier. A couple weeks ago, intermittenly it started clicking from somewhere under the steering wheel. Did not affect the drivability, and was going to have it looked at when I was off for thanksgiving break. I drove to work on Wednesday, ran fine, no problems. Went to lunch, ran fine, no problems. Got back in it to go to work, it started for about a second, then died and would not start back up. Sounds like its not getting fuel. Got it back home, replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It started! Drove it around the block ran great, put it back in the driveway, and it wouldnt start back up. Switched out the relay with the ac relay, still nothing. Something seems to be shutting the fuel pump off.

When you turn the key on, for a second, the security light on the dash flashes and the left headlight flashes then goes off. DId find that the security system had been bypassed.

Gotta get this thing back up and running by Monday. Any Ideas.

Fuel pump and filter were replaced over the summer.
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I am not familiar with this model. I would suggest if you have access to a voltmeter, check power at the relay. You will have 12 volts to the common at the normally open contacts. If you have power there with key on, check for 12 volts to the relay coil. If nothing, I'd suspect the security system hasn't been totally disabled.
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Rather crude drawing, but this is what I am suggesting. You can also with key on, remove, and reinstall the relay, you can feel it "pick up". That however dosen't mean its contacts are closing.
Old November 24th, 2012, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHen you adjust the tilt steering all the way down, it will start. Found the plug to the ignition switch was not pushed in all the way.