Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

92 Cav. overheated replaced thermostat now it wont start

Old March 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Cav. overheated replaced thermostat now it wont start

I bought a 92 Cavalier for my daughter, she drove it all winter long. Yesterday she ran the AC while in heavy traffic called me said the car got really hot (almost to the farthest line). I drove it home, got hot in traffic soon as I would go the temp gauge would drop. No water in the oil, no oil in the antifreeze so figure its not the head gasket. Anyway, we replaced the thermostat, I drove the car several miles, car didnt get hot, figured ok, cool I fixed it... She leaves for school 30 min. later she calls me says the car got a little hot, stalled out... I call I tow truck, car starts fine, towed it home anyway... Checked the radiator, a little low, just figured well I didn't check it after I drove it. Leveled it up, ran the car in the driveway trying to get it hot.. Temp. gauge gets to first line (thats where the car temp normally is) car dies for no reason and will not start. The engine was not that hot, cuz I was able to touch the radiator cap and remove it right away.

I also noticed that thecooling fan didnt kick on when I thought it should, yesterday I had to get the engine really hot (like the halfway mark) before the fan even kicked on...

Any ideas??