Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

'92 cavalier - feels like the engne/trannys probs

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2007, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 cavalier - feels like the engne/trannys probs

i just bought a '92 cavalier, it isn't much to look at... it's an point A to B car... just so i can get to the shop to pick up the work truck. but anyways heres my problem.

it's a '92 cavalier (87k miles!) i just bought it from a guy down the street, he warned me of the thing stalling out. it's good somedays and bad others. it stalls out sometimes when im just going down the street at low speeds.... or comming to a quick stop. the previous owner told me to replace the vacuum modulator, but im getting people telling me it's the EGR valve.

when the car "stalls" it starts out as a vibration, then the engine/transmittion makes aloud thump noise and it feels like either of the two just wants to jump out of the car. Then everything locks up, break peddle is stiff.... yet if you turn it off the car for around 30 seconds.... it starts right back up? (tho sometimes it starts fine in park, but when you try to shift it into drive it stalls back out) this problem happens mostly after 20-30mins of driving or right when the car is starting to warm up.

any ideas? it's an old car, but she's in great shape ( besides this problem) & has nice low old fogie milage on her!

thanks in advance for any help/ideas you can throw my way
Old June 28th, 2007, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '92 cavalier - feels like the engne/trannys probs

Wondered if you ever found out what the problem is. I'm having the same problem with my 92. Has the V6 and auto trans.
Replaced map and throttle positioning sensors, but still happens.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Does it only stall when it is hot? I have a 97 cavalier that would stall and it turned out to be a $20 crank sensor.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Your problem is with the TCC Solenoid. It's the auto clutch. When it stalls, it's the equivalent of braking a manual transmission in gear.
You have to pull the front tire and the side tranny pan. It's right inside the pan. Depending on the tranny you have, you may have to hard-wire it because the wiring harness won't fit.