Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

'93-'94 Coupe engine/drivetrain swap (dream build)

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2017, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93-'94 Coupe engine/drivetrain swap (dream build)

Hey guys,first time poster. I've always been a Chevy guy, although i would consider myself an all around gear head for cars. I've also had a grand imagination and a knack for unordinary things. That being said, I don't think I'd be able to ever be in a position to build one of my dream cars unfortunately. So I thought I might share it with you guys because I think someone out there would love this idea!

So here goes fellas:

My idea is to take a '93-'94 Cavalier Coupe and do a major swap. I really enjoy the older boxy style it has, and the fact that Chevy made a Z24 to go along with the Z28 Camaro. But it's no heart stopper, I know. If funds were unlimited and I had time and a place to work and figure all the technical things I'd love to do this myself. I'd take a decent looking Cav and tear it all down. I'd take measurements all around and research measurements of other vehicles. I figure that you could maybe chop it up enough to somehow utilize an S10 or Sonoma frame. I'd see how the best way to shoe horn Chevy's TBI 4.3 litre V6 in the bay of the Cav. You guys still with me? I'm visualizing the finished product as a RWD Cavalier with the 4.3. Now I know that engine has the same bore and stroke (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm almost sure it is) as the 350 cubic inch power plant Chevy's known for, just with two cylinders knocked off (cylinders 3 and 6? Judging from firing order). You could use a range of transmissions, automatics to 4 and 5 speed manuals at the least. So, without knowing really enough right now, I'm still thinking it would be such an awesome vehicle. Almost like a mini muscle car in my opinion. Lighter than the Camaro, you'd have a RWD car with an amazing V6 that tuned properly and with a few bolt ons could easily put out 300 horsepower and great torque. And it would be more agile with less weight I'm assuming.

Anyway, I know it's a long post but I've had that simple idea (the idea is simple, not so much the undertaking of the project itself lol) for so long, I figured I'd post it somewhere for others to say some words about it or maybe even consider it as their next project! I think if it was done correctly and could actually be made safely it would be a rad little car. Maybe give it a new moniker too lol, like having SS badges to look like a Camaro? I don't know, but honestly if I had been in a better position in my life I would be working on it now! I'm not saying I will never be able to do this, but I'm just guessing I won't anytime soon. Never say never though!

It would sound great, take corners really well, and handle pretty good. You would have a wide array of after market parts for the engine and I'm sure parts for the body would be a dime a dozen in any junk yard or pick 'n pay.

Well sorry for the long and terribly organized post. Long work week called for a few extra beers tonight! Hope my post inspired a few of you builders out there too. Cheers guys.

Last edited by delusional_imaginator; May 5th, 2017 at 8:32 PM. Reason: Spelling