Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

93 cav overheating?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2015, 2:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 cav overheating?

My son has a 93 Cavalier RS conv with the 3.1 motor. Lately it has been overheating when he is sitting idling in line at a drive thru. Just replaced the thermostat but I doubt that is the problem. Fan seems to spin freely. I noticed the serpentine belt is lose, when you pull on the belt, it moves the tensioner easily. I s this normal??

I figure it has to be a thermostat, water pump, or radiator. Fluid looked pretty clean in radiator.Does not appear to be leaking anywhere, oil looks good. seems to run fine too. Just looking for a little direction to go here.
Old May 19th, 2015, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

wow, 113 views and nobody even has an opinion?? OK, thanks...
Old May 20th, 2015, 8:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Its a free internet forum

next time bump your post instead of complaining about lack of response. Maybe 106 people didn't have an answer to your question. Most members are not professionals but owners; and 93 cavs are obsolete, dead platforms. People are so impatient these days. Go to a pay website and ask a professional if you need immediate response.

is the fan shrouding in place?

with a infrared temp gun measure the temp drop across the rad. the inlet hose to outlet hose temp drop should be more than 10*C with the system at normal operating temperature.

if the drive belt isn't squealing; the tensioner is probably tensioning the belt properly.

Last edited by tech2; May 20th, 2015 at 8:11 AM.
Old May 20th, 2015, 6:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the fan spinning freely is a sign of anything.

Is it turning on? You should hear/see it. Turn on the AC... that should kick the fan on.

Turn on the heat and heater fan to HIGH to help cool when idling.

Also check the relay (swap it with another one the same size).

The fan is probably just dead.
Old May 20th, 2015, 6:18 PM
CF Junior Member

I am on a lot of different forums including some with cars a lot older than this one. I was just wondering if the 3.1 motor was susceptible to head gasket failures or not. I went ahead and ordered the diagnostic tools to check for a head gasket leak, and to pump up the cooling system to check for leakage. (which is what I was trying to avoid) I believe I found the problem and am waiting for parts on order. sorry I offended you.

This is my son's car, I don't even fit into it since I just recently had a total knee replacement. He is taking my truck to work which is the only thing I can get in and out of right now, and I get the pleasure of fixing his car which is spewing anti freeze all overt the street. Thus my sour mood. Blame it on the medication if you will. The only time I even see it is when he breaks something on it, and then it sits while he takes off in one of my vehicles.

Fan (electric) spins freely, doesn't come on with the A/C but the A/C probably doesn't work. Temp gauge goes all the way to the top when it runs for about 15 min.
Old May 20th, 2015, 7:37 PM
CF Junior Member

OK, so far I have replaced Thermostat, 2 hoses, radiator pressure cap, and the serpentine belt. The water pump will turn by hand but the belt won't turn it. My b guess is the water pump. but I may end up replacing the tensioner too. Any opinions?? Water pump looks like an easier job so I will start with that. Still not sure if electric fan comes on or not, after replacing hoses thermostat and cap, I noticed pump not turning. After replacing belt, it squeals so I shut it off. I am guessing the water pump has too much side play and the belt pressure is jamming it.

Open to suggestions.. I may still have a cooling fan problem but I think I should get the pump working first.
Old May 21st, 2015, 7:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

yes, replace the wp.

the water pumps not turning yet you say it only overheats at idle?

Last edited by tech2; May 21st, 2015 at 7:51 AM.
Old May 21st, 2015, 7:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
I am on a lot of different forums including some with cars a lot older than this one. I was just wondering if the 3.1 motor was susceptible to head gasket failures or not. I went ahead and ordered the diagnostic tools to check for a head gasket leak, and to pump up the cooling system to check for leakage. (which is what I was trying to avoid) I believe I found the problem and am waiting for parts on order.

Fan (electric) spins freely, doesn't come on with the A/C but the A/C probably doesn't work. Temp gauge goes all the way to the top when it runs for about 15 min.
Well, I had a 2.8L 1987 motor - had a lot of anti freeze in the oil around 1999... ended up pulling motor in 2001... saw some stains on head gasket.. shop cleaned the block and found nothing wrong with it... at that point - I found a boneyard motor 2.8L from an 89 grand prix for $450 and put that in - instead of doing a rebuild on the original... saved a ton of $$$

So you are dealing with 23 year old gaskets - so yeah, it could be a problem... Not sure how the car was driven - if it's over heated... I guess if you don't have oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil - the gaskets should still be good. You should see a milk shake slop when checking the dipstick if coolant is in the oil.

Can't say I've tried to turn a water pump pulley - but if the belt is blowing by - there's probably a problem. Usually the weep hole on the underside of it will leak coolant if it is bad.

I think I missed were you were leaking coolant on the pressure testing - other than it's all over the street.. You should be able to find where it is coming from using the pressure tester when the car is cold.

I hope you make it through this.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 7:03 AM
CF Junior Member

That is what threw me. Only leak is from the overflow when the motor is overheated. driving around , it runs hot but not boiling over. They just recently started road construction so there is a lot of waiting in line to get anywhere. That is when this all started. No belt squealing, which is why I did not look at the water pump first.

I ended up purchasing a coolant system tester (pressure pump) to see if there were any leaks I wasn't seeing. After I replaced the thermostat, I found a leak in 2 hoses (which I may have done myself) and the pressure cap would not hold any pressure. Replaced both hoses amd pressure cap. At theat point I suspected maybe a head gasket and got a bo\lock checker with the fluid for checking for exhaust gas in the radiator, came up O.K. then I glanced down at the belt and noticed the water pump was not turning (still no belt squeal) and the belt was worn and cracked badly, replaced the belt. I could turn the water pump a bit and figured it was stiff because of the water (? wishful thinking) I started the motor and got LOTS of belt squeal, shut it off right away. Removed the belt and I could turn the water pump with a screwdriver in the bolts only. Ordered a pump.
Replaced the pump and nw the temp stays quite a bit cooler than it ever has before.

What threw me was the fact that there were no leaks, oil was clear, coolant was clear, yet it was overheating (temp gauge was pegged on the high end) and no belt squeal indicating belt slipping. I have always had water leaking out the water pump when they go bad, never had one lock up like this one. Also had multiple problems so that didn't help. I guess the belt wore down and left enough material on the water pump pulley that the belt didn't squeal when it slipped on the pulley. I suspect it was squealing at one point and the kid ignored it. (not the first time)

Sat in traffic yesterday and the temp stayed way lower than I have ever seen it (on the temp gauge) which is excellent! I dropped the car at my son's work, and his co-worker got a good laugh at the 'old man' trying to get out of the little car, tall fat guy with a knee that doesn't bend because of recent knee surgery, I finally had to open the top to get out. I remember why I rarely drive this car.... anyhow, I now own a pressure tester and a block checker that I most likely will not need to use again.

My thanks for the words of encouragement and directions, and apologize for getting upset. Tough situation around here, I keep telling myself it will get better, but I am still waiting....
Old May 22nd, 2015, 7:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Picture of the little problem child.. (the car that is..)

Name:  JIMMY075.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  195.3 KB

been around here for about 5 or 6 years now. When it is all fixed up, it does run like a champ. Still has a few minor issues, but for a daily runner, I can't complain too much. Body is super nice being it is in Minnesota, the state that eats car bodies like pizza.

Quick Reply: 93 cav overheating?