Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

93 Cavalier Power Issue

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2011, 4:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few weeks ago my buddies called, junk yard got a blue cavalier in and was mint condition, one dent. Time I got there they took gas tank, catalatic converter, and wheels off. I asked how much for whole car, they quoted me $1200 with all that missing, and blue book isn"t even $500
Old June 20th, 2011, 5:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Would the CC be plugged if I can occasionally floor it and get plenty of revs while driving, and can wind it up to max RPM sitting in the driveway? I don't think it is plugged, but will try to feel the flow next time it starts. This morning, I couldn't start it, so took off the intake hose and sqirted throttle body cleaner into the body while holding the plate open, and it started easily! Then, the same thing, could not press the accelerator more than a quarter inch without it trying to die. It will, as I noted before, eventually allow more pedal and even will act normal for a while, but there is something wrong. It set the "44" code again, this time without flooring it. I just replaced the O2 sensor, so I think it is a fuel problem - I don't have a pressure tester and I'm not going to try to get to AutoZone or somewhere where I will not be able to start again. Fuel pressure regulator? How to test easily? One more thing - I saw another post where someone heard what sounded like the fuel pump running after his car stalled, and I heard something similar but think it's the cooling fan. It was running after it died even though the engine was definitely not hot.
Old June 20th, 2011, 5:16 PM
CF Junior Member

P.S. I bought the car on eBay six years ago for $1200 - the only thing wrong was the fuel gauge indicated 1/4 tank when it was empty. That junkyard car better be a 2008 or newer...
Old June 27th, 2011, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Some closure for this thread...I spent most of a day pulling the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump. This fixed the problem. I still don't know the exact thing that fixed it; the old fuel pump must have been working to some extent since it ran sometimes, and when I pulled the module apart there was no obvious problem. What I know it was NOT are - the TPS, O2 sensor, fuel filter, blocked cat, ECU, IAC and bad gas. I hope someone will benefit from this thread as I have seen quite a few posters with similar problems. Best of luck and thank you for your thoughts and advice.