Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

98 2.2L cavalier THEFT SYSTEM on

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2020, 3:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 2.2L cavalier THEFT SYSTEM on

Hi this is my first time here but I had to finally go somewhere and ask because I couldn't find help. I just got a 1998 Chevy Cavalier 3 speed 2.2L and I have no history of this car but that it starts then stops

Here is what I did, I took the dash apart while the battery was unplugged and cleaned everything and uninstalled the cluster and then reinstalled the cluster, I left everything but the trim piece for the light dimmer. I have the radio out and it is an aftermarket radio and did not come with the stock stereo, the dash is not put together completely because I'm waiting on a stereo to come in.

Here is what it's doing: I go to start it and before I actually turn it over the THEFT SYSTEM light turns on solid with no flashing and then I start it where I do hear the fuel pump working and the engine turning over to where I can rev it while the THEFT system light is on. After starting it about 1 to 2 seconds it automatically shuts off and then the THEFT SYSTEM light flashes for a few seconds then instantly returns to solid.

What I did to try to troubleshoot it?: I tried the 10 to 15 minute trick by turning it over then waiting that amount of time and even disconnecting the battery and doing that as many times as I could. And I even tried looking in the manual to see but I haven't contacted the GM parts department of my "local" Chevy dealer (I'm 300 miles from a near one) but I decided I'd try here first if anyone has any input to help me out.

​​​​​​Few more questions if so some of the things I've read are right for responses as well: if it's the ignition switch can I reuse the lock cylinder or will I have to get it rekeyd or just have a separate key for the ignition?

Anyways thanks for taking the time to hopefully read it all and help out

- Love from Alaska
Old June 17th, 2020, 5:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

First off, disconnect the aftermarket radio - you never know what aftermarket electrical gadgets will do the computers.

Check fuel shutoff switch. It's either underneath the trunk mat or under the rear seat. With my Cav, when the anti-theft is preventing the car from starting, it doesn't fire at all, because the ignition is shut off. The fact that your car starts and then quits after a few seconds sounds like the fuel shutoff switch. If the car has been in an accident, that could've triggered the switch.

Regarding the '10~15 minute trick', Try to start car, when it doesn't start, leave ignition ON for 10~15 min until theft light goes out, repeat this process 3 times.
The following users liked this post:
safetydoge (June 19th, 2020)
Old June 19th, 2020, 5:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure Cavaliers don't have a physical or inertia switch, that's more like a FoMoCo thing, but ill try the reset trick one more time tho. Thanks anyway!

Note to everyone: Ill update as soon as I get it running (unless I forget)