Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

99 cav 2.2l wont start

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2010, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 99 cav 2.2l wont start

As you can tell by my name I dont know much about cars. I do know that my 99 cavalier wont start tho. It started fine yesterday at lunch and when i went to go home it would not start at all. I have recently had the radiator fixed and the mechanic told me that i might have to replace the coolant temp sensor. He told me that if this sensor is bad, then it could cause the cars computer to send too much or very little gas and flood the car. I understand the concept behind this, if the censor constantly reads 40 F then the car sends more gas and if it constantly thinks the temp is 240 F then it sends less gas.
I can tell you this. The plugs are about 2 months old, a lil dirty and black with a lil oil on them. The electrical system is ok cuz the plugs throw spark. When the key is turned I hear the hum of the fuel pump. I do not have the needed tool to check for compression as that is the final part for combustion.
When the plugs were removed i could smell fuel on each plug, and cleaned them off as best as i can. I left the plugs out to let the cylinders dry of fuel. I have tried starting the car with and without the coolant temp sensor plugged in. The engine turns, but acts as if there is nothing there to get it to start.
WHAT SHOULD I DO? i have very little money and i have to get this thing running to get back to work by tuesday at the latest! Please help me in any way possible, as i would love to get this hunk of junk working.

Last edited by iknownothing28; July 17th, 2010 at 5:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 18th, 2010, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I wouldn't say Cavalier is a hunk of junk. I have two, both run 32-35 MPG. I normally use my Harley to commute, but when rain is forecast I drive my Cavalier. I have a V12 Jaguar XJ-S for fun, too. Does not reduce my love for Cavaliers.
Unfortunately, fixing EFI cars is a little more complicated than those with carburetors. I'd say a OBD reader is a must, can get one for $100 or so to attach to your laptop. If a sensor is gone bad you have to replace it. There just is no workaround. Even if you replace a bad sensor with a fake one (it takes a couple of resistors or maybe just one) you are going to pay the prize at gas station.