Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

99 Cav - Help with repairing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2015, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Cav - Help with repairing exhaust

Hi all! I need help understanding what parts and how much the repair cost will be for my exhaust. I need to get through inspection this month so any help is wonderful!

Meineke originally boot a boot on this part but obviously it was crap. So what do I need in order to fix this? This is the part of the exhaust near the front of the car.

It's #2 on this diagram
http://www.gmpartsonline.net/media/i.../C/CL95222.gif

Old October 5th, 2015, 7:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

buy a new #2 which is a flex pipe, some new gaskets for each end and bolt it in.

the picture of your broken exhaust will not enlarge so I can't see it well enough to determine a fix. It probably is junk and a new part should be put on.
Old October 5th, 2015, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
buy a new #2 which is a flex pipe, some new gaskets for each end and bolt it in.

the picture of your broken exhaust will not enlarge so I can't see it well enough to determine a fix. It probably is junk and a new part should be put on.

Is this a better pic?

View image: IMAG0016
Old October 5th, 2015, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator

yep

not repairable. you could cut out the bad section and splice in a new flex pipe. they do may just he flex section. It may be cheaper but would be more monkeying around. Easier fix is to buy pipe #2.
Old October 5th, 2015, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
yep

not repairable. you could cut out the bad section and splice in a new flex pipe. they do may just he flex section. It may be cheaper but would be more monkeying around. Easier fix is to buy pipe #2.

Well see that's the issue, that black cover on the thing is meineke attempt at fixing the first issue. And this ticks me off because they only fixed it 2 months ago and now I have to go through inspection.
Old October 5th, 2015, 8:27 PM
Super Moderator

aftermarket muffler shops sell the thinnest cheapest exhaust crap.