Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

99 cavalier torn wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2013, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cavalier torn wiring harness

So last winter tow truck driver hooks up cable to the car (wiring harness with it) pulls cable goes through the bumper and tears about 15 wires in two. Car dies immediately. With the key in run position nothing was working i.e. lights, wipers, instm. panel, etc. So I rewired it and now everything is working, the car cranks fine but will not turn over. There are several of the same colored wire in there, for example 4 green w/ white stripe so it is possible that some of the wires are not connected to the correct end. The theft system light is also on and will not turn off not even to reset the passlock. Alt. is good, starter is good, ignition switch is good, battery is good. Its not getting a spark either. Any ideas where to start? How do I find out which wires go to what? Can I replace the entire harness?
Old September 25th, 2013, 9:37 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

You can replace the harness and that would probably be easier then trying to fix it and have it hold up over time..
might check the ends of the harness for part numbers or other identifiers...
just a quick Googling of 99 cavailer engine harness turned up this link -> New Genuine GM Engine Wiring Harness Cavalier Sunfire | eBay
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

I would look at any local pick n pull auto parts or junk hard I your area. Fishing the wiring and replacing the harness will save a boat load of time vs trying to repair the wiring. Or you could turn to the tow company to fix it.
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for responding. The harness in this link is very small. The amount of wires hanging from the undercarriage is a bundle of 60-70 wires, its insane. Is this not the wiring harness? Is there even something to replace this or is it several different components in one bundle?
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

If it is the wires that run to the pas side inner fender well then they probably are what feeds the ECM hooking up wrong wires could result in a nasty mess.
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Check J-body.org you may find many harnesses for sale on this web site. I may even have one laying around. I can check for you if have not gotten this problem fixed yet.