Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

99 cavalier wont hardly run

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2016, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cavalier wont hardly run

My gf pit premium gas in her 99 cavalier today and it starting running poorly. Had no power, kind of a knock in engine. Guy at oreilly checked code and said cat converter was plugged up and that her car should not ever have premium gas in it and that was causing the problem. I put a new cat on it but cant get the gas drained out. Everything is very rusty so i am afraid to drop the tank. Does this sound logical? Anything else i can check?
Old October 30th, 2016, 6:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You can get a small hand operated pump at harbor freight for about 5 or 6 dollars to pump out the tank. I have done this before. You need to check to see if the inside of the tank is rusty or dirty. The filter in the tank may be clogged, the fuel pump may be bad or the injector could be dirty among other things.
Old October 30th, 2016, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Can i pull thr fuel line off the engine and use the fuel pump to pump tank out? I tried getting a hose in the tank last night, it goes in and stops likes its hitting something
Old October 30th, 2016, 9:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts
Unhappy

yes, you can use the car fuel pump to pump out the fuel. the tank probably has a check ball in it that seals the tank in a roll over....that is what is blocking your siphon hose.

disconnect the fuel supply line at the fuel rail. You may need a quick disconnect tool...a set is $20. then jumper the fuel pump relay. Remove the relay, take a piece of stranded wire, strip the ends and stick the ends into the relay sockets terminals. pins 30 to 87 are the 2 pins you need to jumper.

the car should run on premium fuel...so I would not be surprised if something else is going on here.
She filled the tank and the engine started running rough immediately or days later...
pump out a small sample of the fuel and have a look at it...make sure its not diesel fuel.

the oreilly code reader guy called the cat based on what, a p0420 dtc.

Last edited by tech2; October 30th, 2016 at 9:47 AM.
Old October 30th, 2016, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Im not sure what the code was. She filled up yesterday and drove maybe 2 miles when it started acting up. Im leaning toward a plugged up fuel filter or possibly a dead spark plug. I dont believe it the high octane fuel either
Old October 30th, 2016, 9:55 AM
Super Moderator

a dead plug would set a misfire dtc.

Last edited by tech2; October 30th, 2016 at 9:57 AM.
Old October 30th, 2016, 9:57 AM
Super Moderator

if the fuel filter was plugged it would show in the fuel trim corrections. kinda need a scan tool to see live data and if the mil is on the dtc
Old October 30th, 2016, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I was wondering about diesel too. If it started immediately after fill up, I think something is wrong with the fuel, not the car
Old October 30th, 2016, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Changed spark plugs. Fuel filter and lines are very very rusty so i didnt mess with that. Took fuel line off engine and cycled pump. Seems to have good fuel pressure. Went back by oreillys and checked codes. Forgot to get number again, but he said it look like the back o2 sensor and it said multiple cylinder misfires. He cleared codes and it came right back. I put a can of seafoam in it. It seems to run a little smoother but it acts like its in limp mode or retarded. It starts off real slow and has no power but i can build up speed to 50 or more
Old October 30th, 2016, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Borrowed a code reader and it says p0300. Multiple cylinder misfires. Think its a dead coil?