Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

ABS Light, NEED SUGGESTIONS

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light, NEED SUGGESTIONS

I have had my 2004 Cavalier for almost four years and love it, but a year into owning the car the ABS light turned on, in response I cleaned all the teath on the ABS gears and the sensors on both front axels and the light went off for a few weeks then can back on, and I don't want to get the codes read because they are ridiculously expensive to have read, also have noticed that I haven't heard the ABS engage since the light has gone solid in my dash. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

are there any autoparts stores in your area that would read the codes for free? Having the code would narrow down which WSS is faulty. You could also check online for someone who would read the code for a small fee. They will need a full scan tool to read ABS codes.
Old August 25th, 2013, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

No one that I know of will or can read it for free, all the parts stores here don't have the right tool and the shops that do charge $80 to read it ... suggestions ...
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

without the dtc there is nothing I can suggest
Old August 27th, 2013, 4:49 AM
CF Junior Member

To echo what tech2 said, without the codes, you will find yourself spending a lot more than $80 by changing parts to eliminate the problem. BTW, if you ABS light is on, your ABS system will not work. You don't lose any braking performance, but you do lose the anti-lock feature. Usually an AutoZone or Advance place will read the code for free, so I have been told.
Old August 27th, 2013, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

alright so I finally got a code for my ABS light the code is C 1218 if you can give me any suggestions on this code that would be fantastic description of the obd2 gave was um motor pump electrical ground disconnect um I'm assuming this is probably a short of some kind or a sensor if you could let me know that be great
Old August 28th, 2013, 5:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Sure would be nice if C1218 would tell you to just change out sensor X or switch Y or something else, but no.

You have a short or open in the pump motor circuit. KISS (keep it simple, sweetheart) check your ABS fuses first. If the fuses are good, chances are it is an open circuit, as a short normally blows a fuse. Beyond that, you'll have to do some circuit testing to determine if the problem is in the wiring harness, pump motor, or the EBCM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Of course I had to get the difficult code haha, well I'll chef the fuses, but IF the issue isn't there where So I test my circuits and what color are the writes I should be checking?
Old August 28th, 2013, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

I took the fuses out and checked them they are were all good so the next step sounds like I need to break open the circuit board in test all the points or what do you suggest from here? I did locate the ABS motor and circuit board but I don't want to bust it open unless you feel that is the next that in finding out my issue if so is it most likely just sodder?

Last edited by afuller; August 28th, 2013 at 8:03 PM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 8:45 PM
Super Moderator

if you can get a cheap ebcm and brake pressure modulator valve assembly cheap at a wrecker, just throw it on. no way to diagnose this without a scan tool anyway...it will be wiring or the unit I mentioned.