Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Another high beam headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2013, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another high beam headlight problem

2003 Cavalier, 4dr, 2.2L VIN F

My low beams work normally, high beams do not work. I replaced the bulbs and replaced the multifunction switch and nothing worked. The blue high beam indicator does come on. I subscribe to alldatadiy.com for this car, but there are 5 wiring schematics for this car's headlights and they are all different, so they do not seem to provide me much help.

With my test light I have determined the following. This is testing the headlight connectors with the headlight globe assemblies taken out

-When the switch is on LOW BEAM:
-Left side (driver)
- pink (no power)
- dk blue (hot)
- dk blue (no power)

-Right side
- pink (no power)
- orange (hot)
- dk blue (no power)

-When the switch is on HIGH BEAM:
-Left side (driver)
- pink (no power)
- dk blue (hot)
- dk blue (hot)

-Right side
- pink (no power)
- orange (hot)
- dk blue (hot)

I read a lot of posts on here and other places as to a ground problem. But which wire is the ground here? I am confused.
Old October 14th, 2013, 4:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markh28
I read a lot of posts on here and other places as to a ground problem. But which wire is the ground here? I am confused.
For 2003 Cavalier headlight grounding wire is BLK/WHT ,check the fuse and if you have power there check at the turn switch on both orange wires for power. If you have power at the orange wires turn the headlights on and switch to high beams then check for power at the pink wire. If no power at pink wire but you do have power at the orange wire the switch is not working. make sure about that.
Old October 14th, 2013, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since everything else works (turn signals, park lights, day runners, etc) and I never have power to my pink wires (high or low beam) I will start there.

Since the switch is brand new, and I had no high beams with the old or the new switch, chances are good its not the switch itself. In the fuse panel there is a fuse for the left headlight and one for the right headlight, both tested ok with my ohmmeter. I also read something about a relay, but I have no idea where those are located? Could it also be possible the connector that plugs into the switch has a bad connection?
Old October 15th, 2013, 2:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markh28
I also read something about a relay, but I have no idea where those are located?
The relay for the headlights are under the hood on the driver's side fender under a black cover with all the "big" fuses.

Could it also be possible the connector that plugs into the switch has a bad connection?
Yes , chances are there for bad connections to switch too.