Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

AUX button on my stock cavalier stereo?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2007, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUX button on my stock cavalier stereo?

I own a 1997 Chevy CavalierLS 2.4L convertible. The stock stereo is pretty nice and I've been pretty happy with it so far. The only issue is that it sometimes won't read cd's well if they are burned or the least bit smudged.

I have been thinking of purchasing a new deck, on with an aux input so i could just plug a usb cable into my ipod and rock my tunes that way. however this little operation is bound to leave my pockets pretty empty.

I was looking at the face of my stereo a while back and notice that on the bottom portion of the cd button it says "AUX" as if the stereo has an auxillary input. However there is nowhere to plug an aux cord into the face of the unit.

MY QUESTION IS... is there an aux input located somewhere in this stock radio? Maybe in the back? And if so is there a way to access it and plug my ipod into it? It would really be sweet if i could...... it would save me a bunch of money lol!

any help would really be appreciated!
Old September 20th, 2007, 7:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: AUX button on my stock cavalier stereo?

Short answer ... no .
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: golfer

Short answer ... no .
what exactly is it's use then?
Old September 21st, 2007, 8:49 AM
CF Junior Member

If it says aux on the front then there should be 2 rca plugs on the back of the deck. You need to buy a rca to aux cable. What it does is the rca ends of the cable (red and white plugs) plug into the back of the deck, and the other end of the cable (aux plug, looks like the plug at the end of headphones) plugs into your ipod, mp3 player, dvd player, etc. The cable is about $10-$15. To get the deck out, take the faceplate off and look on the left and right sides. There are 2 notches in the metal. Take 2 of the smallest screw drivers you have (flat head) and shove them into those slots on the left and right. This will push back the pins that hold the deck in. Then while the screw drivers are still in place slight the deck out carefully and check if the rca plugs are there. They will look red and white. To put the deck back in, take the screw drivers out then slide the deck back in and it will click into place.
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM
CF Pro Member

RCA plugs on a factory deck ?? That's a first.

Usually the AUX. on factory decks was for things like the factory add on cassette deck or the factory add on CD changer. These would connect to deck with GM connectors not RCA.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

I've been doing some research on this exact issue and while I have not (yet) taken apart my dash to work on the stereo, what I've found online says that no, there is not a simple RCA jack in the back of the stock radio. The Aux is there to interface with satellite radio or a cd-changer. What you can do is buy a 3rd party piece of hardware that will turn that Aux button into RCA-in jacks so you could run whatever you want through your stereo. It does require you taking the dash off and plugging the thing in behind your radio though... This is the part I've bought, but haven't yet installed:
http://www.uscaraudio.com/cgi-bin/us...talogno=PXGM24
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

I have since installed the 3rd party "aux enabler" and can confirm that it works and works pretty well. Here are instructions I found for taking apart the dash to install it:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=321030