Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Bearing noise that isn't bearings

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2019, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to run it on a lift again to check for transmission noise--although a transmission shop said it was doubtful it would make that type of sound. I checked the alternator & p/steering pump with a sound probe and they're fine. Beginning to think you guys talking about the tires may be right! If there's no noise when running on the lift, that'll point the finger in their direction. They're not new, but worn very evenly and switching rotating direction didn't make a difference last weekend, but running my hand across the outer shoulders, I can feel some feathering.
Old September 26th, 2019, 9:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie Bill
but running my hand across the outer shoulders, I can feel some feathering.
that is toe wear...and it sounds exactly like a bad wheel bearing growl...except the noise won't change like a bearing as you sway the vehicle...loading/unloading the bearings.

the tires will be loud for the remainder of their life but an alignment will correct further toe wear.
Old September 28th, 2019, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, you guys--especially tech2--are smarter than I am. I would have BET $100 that I had a bearing noise; in fact, I DID bet $100 by replacing the front hub bearings that didn't need to be! I put the front tires on the rear today and the noise was 70% gone, and when I went down a dirt road instead of any type of paving, it was completely gone. So, new tires and I'll have the entire problem solved. I had planned on tires in 5000-8000 miles anyway, when it'll need front brakes again. Never would have believed that a worn tire would make such a 'mechanical' noise, and I've worn out a lot of tires in my 70+ years. Can't imagine why the tire shop I went to didn't catch it and use the opportunity to sell me tires.

On a darker note, a franchised transmission shop ran the car on their lift and came back telling me the diff in the transmission was bad, and I needed a rebuilt tranny for $3100. I smelled a rat because he left me in the waiting room and hadn't called me into the bay to hear it for myself. What would the crook have said if I had bought the trans and the noise was still there?!

Thanks again everyone for the education. (Old dog--new tricks)
Old September 29th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

new tires then alignment or you will be back where you started. alignment is the problem...irregular tire wear and noise the symptom.

Last edited by tech2; September 29th, 2019 at 12:02 PM.