Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Bizzarre Z24 Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizzarre Z24 Headlight Issue

Hey everyone. First post!

The Car: 1997 Cavalier Z24

The problem: I have the low-beam headlight issue. When I start the car and drop the parking brake, the Daytime Running Lights work fine. If I switch on the headlights however, all markers/tail lights come on normally, but the low beams do not...the Daytime Running Lights remain on. Hi-beams switch on fine.

BUT! I have read all about the ground wire corrosion that is common with this model, but here is the weird part. If I pull back slightly on the turn signal (not quite to the flash-to-pass point), the low beams WILL come on normally. I just have to drive with my hand on the lever.

Now...wouldn't this indicate a bad multi-switch rather than the faulty/rotted grounds? What I am thinking is that IF the ground was rotted somewhere, the low-beams wouldn't work at all, even if I pulled on the switch...right? I was also thinking a faulty relay maybe?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I tend to agree with you about the switch and apreciate the good description....
disconnect the connecter from the switch, and with a jumper lead, jumper pin C(blue) and E(black). There might to a slight spark, no worries. Your low beams should be on right now. If they are, then you are correct in suspecting the switch. If they aren't, attach the blue wire to a good ground. The lights should come on. If they do, repair both black wire in the connector(they both go to the same grounding point under the hood and if 1 is bad, the other is probably right behind it). I would cut them, and run a wire into the kick panel. Scrape some paint off, and use a self tapping screw to attach it to the body