Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cavalier 3 speed transmission cracking and spewing out fluid

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2012, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cavalier 3 speed transmission cracking and spewing out fluid

Alright so i was driving to work the other day and stopped by my girlfreinds house. Speaking from the fluid trail perspective i am assuming it started spewing out as soon as i pulled out yet i didnt feel a clutch pack explode or nothing nor have i hit any rocks. And im driving and all of the sudden it makes a god awful screeching noise and misshifts to hell and back and finnaly i get to a school parking lot as it drags its self into the parking lot somehow which i dont understand and i shut it off and leave it there and have someone take me.

The thing im not understand is HOW?! this all happended that it is all cracked along the back and has a piece of metal pushed in even! I wish i could weld this back together but i doubt it.

Has anyone ever had there 3 speed or 4 speed transmission crack along the back or anywheres mysteriously?? and is it possible for a clutch pack to somehow explode so violently and crack it or something else exploding?? I had wheel bearing replaced and a CV replaced on the passenger side near the cracks as well!! and he was beating the crap out of the CV when he was getting the old bearing out. I might get pics as well just to show the damage.

Any ideas or input is much appreciated i apoligize for the crazy amount of typing.
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

You answered your own question. If hew was beating the crap out of it with a hammer near the cracks then that is what caused the cracks. Things don't happen by themselves with no reason.